Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Crete films and programs (Read 4493 times)
x5kmt
Practically Cretan

Not just another BritInCrete!

Re: Crete films and programs
Reply #20 - 01. Apr 2007 at 23:03
Print Post  
Just finished watching...yet again...on Sky, 'The Guns of Navarone', Irene Papas was also in this film.

My late partner, Malcolm, always said this film was based on the tunnels blasted through the cliffs overlooking Plakias beach. He only got me through them once, under protest, they stank of goats and ended in a sheer drop. The walls were plasticised by explosives and overlooking the bay had obviously been the site of gun emplacements, anyone know any better?

Kathleen
« Last Edit: 01. Apr 2007 at 23:04 by x5kmt »  

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you have been up to!

IP Logged

Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
geckophile
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #19 - 01. Apr 2007 at 15:21
Print Post  
Irene Papas! Thats the one! Brilliant actress.

I have never seen "the Lotus Eaters" - what it is about? I presume its based/filmed on Crete then?

We loved Lourdas beach on Cefallonia too - in fact we fell in love with Cefallonia when we first went there eight years ago. Its still a beautiful island but getting more and more built-up, and definitely cashing-in on the fame brought by the Captain Korelli film. The same taverna -owners we met in Katelios who were sooooo lovely and friendly eight years ago (and even offered my partner a job because he tried to speak and read some Greek) just didnt want to know when we went back two years ago - in fact they ripped us off big-time, and just seemed to be eaten up by the "lets make lots of money from the innocent tourists" idea. AND in lovely, quiet fishing village Katelios someone had opened up a British-style caff with a sign outside saying "We sell Iceland pies"! Unfortunately it was always full - with knotted hankies, football shirts, chavs and their hoards of screaming kids. Why didnt they go to Benidorm?! And we tried to eat a meal in a "taverna" in Scala, but they refused to turn off the huge TV screen showing English football matches (even though no-one was watching as we were alone). It put us off a bit, seemed to be turning into Blackpool in the sun. We just want Greece to be Greece - not much to ask is it?
Joyx

IP Logged

Phaedra
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 01. Apr 2007 at 13:55
Print Post  
Davethelocksmith wrote on 31. Mar 2007 at 22:34:
brings back the memory Smiley of the time spent on Cephallonia aways at Loudas Beach

Dave.

Ah, Lourdas Bay - what a lovely spot.  We spent a number of happy holidays there about 10 years ago.    It was such a lovely spot I can imagine that it's been developed by now?

IP Logged

Davethelocksmith

Moonspinners security
& property services

Zodiac sign: Taurus
Reply #17 - 31. Mar 2007 at 22:34
Print Post  
geckophile wrote on 31. Mar 2007 at 16:03:
The Moon Spinners? Is that the Disney one with Hayley Mills? A nice, innocent, "twinkly" sort of film, and well worth watching to see all the scenery, the windmills etc. There's another fairly well known actress in it, who plays the sister of the "baddie" Cretan chappie, but I can't remember her name......

The author of the book The Moon Spinners, Mary Stewart, has also written at least one other book based in Greece, might even be Crete - can't remember, but I remember it was a really good mystery story with caves and robbers and gold icons etc, gripping stuff.

Our personal favourite (Italian film with sub-titles) is Mediterraneo. Wonderful film, wonderful soundtrack, wonderful story, and filmed on a Greek island (not Crete tho) with the locals as extras. (for anyone who doesn't know the film, its about a group of Italian soldiers who are posted to a Greek island during WW2 and then forgotten about. Eventually they hear on the grapevine (sorry!) that the war has ended, but by that time they have made a life on the island. Its about different personalities and different views, life, friendships, relationships and love affairs. Fabulous stuff. Hilariously funny and I always cry at the end! We always watch that when we are getting Greece-withdrawal symptoms! Its probably one of my all-time favourite films. We have even got the soundtrack on CD. Lovely. Far far better than Captain Korelli's Mandolin, which we found OK but forgettable.

Joyx

Hi
The well known actress is Irene Papas she has been in a great deal of films
apart from the "Moon Spinners" etc / Zorbas the greek /Guns of Navarone and my claim to fame Captain Corelli`s Mandolin
I was there during the filming and was thrown off the film set Embarrassed for tampering with the Mine on Mytros beach the day before the blowing up of the said Bomb still got the dvd and watch it as brings back the memory Smiley of the time spent on Cephallonia aways at Loudas Beach

Dave.
« Last Edit: 31. Mar 2007 at 22:41 by Davethelocksmith »  
IP Logged

geckophile
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #16 - 31. Mar 2007 at 16:03
Print Post  
The Moon Spinners?  Is that the Disney one with Hayley Mills?  A nice, innocent, "twinkly" sort of film, and well worth watching to see all the scenery, the windmills etc.  There's another fairly well known actress in it, who plays the sister of the "baddie" Cretan chappie, but I can't remember her name......

The author of the book The Moon Spinners, Mary Stewart, has also written at least one other book based in Greece, might even be Crete - can't remember, but I remember it was a really good mystery story with caves and robbers and gold icons etc, gripping stuff.

Our personal favourite (Italian film with sub-titles) is Mediterraneo.  Wonderful film, wonderful soundtrack, wonderful story, and filmed on a Greek island (not Crete tho) with the locals as extras. (for anyone who doesn't know the film, its about a group of Italian soldiers who are posted to a Greek island during WW2 and then forgotten about.  Eventually they hear on the grapevine (sorry!) that the war has ended, but by that time they have made a life on the island.  Its about different personalities and different views, life, friendships, relationships and love affairs.  Fabulous stuff.  Hilariously funny and I always cry at the end!  We always watch that when we are getting Greece-withdrawal symptoms!  Its probably one of my all-time favourite films.  We have even got the soundtrack on CD.  Lovely.  Far far better than Captain Korelli's Mandolin, which we found OK but forgettable.

Joyx

IP Logged

johnny
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #15 - 27. Mar 2007 at 14:10
Print Post  
A new series of A Place in the Sun starts at 8pm on Thursday on C4, and the first programme will be featuring a family looking to buy a property on Crete with a budget of 80k.

This seems to be a brand new series, so I suspect this will be a different programme to the (excellent) one shown last year featuring eastern Crete. 

johnny

IP Logged

limnes
Practically Cretan

Zodiac sign: Capricorn
Reply #14 - 26. Mar 2007 at 23:28
Print Post  
Looks like I'd better do something about buying a copy then!. Thanks for the review Dave.  Grin

IP Logged

Davethelocksmith

Moonspinners security
& property services

Reply #13 - 26. Mar 2007 at 22:33
Print Post  
limnes wrote on 08. Mar 2007 at 13:19:
Ah, been meaning to get a copy of Moon Spinners as it much of it was filmed just across the valley from us in Houmeriakos. Roll Eyes

We'll be interested to see your review Smiley

Regards,

I just finished watching The Moon Spinners Smiley well more than once Wink
Highly recommended even if it was not filmed in the west part of crete

Dave.

IP Logged

Phaedra
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09. Mar 2007 at 14:16
Print Post  
If you go into Zorba's kafeneion in Kokkino Chorio you will find it difficult to leave as the owner was one of the extras in the film and will press you to accept a signed (and stamped!) photocopy of a photo of him with Anthony Quinn whilst "on set" in Kokkino chorio.  He also likes you to have a photo taken with him and makes you promise to give him a copy when you have it processed (it was very difficult trying to explain that we don't print our photos anymore)

The Kafeneion wasn't open when we were there last October so I hope he's still in the land of the living.  He must be pretty old by now!

IP Logged

lesley

Reply #11 - 09. Mar 2007 at 00:20
Print Post  
Several years ago we were introduced to locals who were "extras" in Zorba.  Look around and you can still see their relatives - such strong faces.
I'm not sure if they are still there but Alecko who had rooms on the road from Almerytha to Gavalahori had a display of photos of the Zorba cast.  I believe some of the crew stayed with him.  He had excellent photos of Anthony Quinn and Alan Bates.  Another interesting story from Alecko was his travelling cinema.  He would go from village to village with the screen, projector and even the chairs on the back of his small truck.

IP Logged

Filippos
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08. Mar 2007 at 23:27
Print Post  
A few months ago we watched part of Zorba in a cafe in Kalyves with several Greek guys and it was interesting to have them pointing out all the places, especially in Kokkino Xorio. "That's Giorgios' kafeneio." "Manolis xxxxx lives in that house now." etc., etc. They pointed out a few places in Xania, too.

Filippos.

IP Logged

Davethelocksmith

Moonspinners security
& property services

Reply #9 - 08. Mar 2007 at 22:47
Print Post  
Me two Lips Sealed we went to stavros beach in January all the places were closed  Cry but went on the beach and worked out the filming of the little house on the beach but cannot work out K/H must be all the building works Wink

Dave.

IP Logged

lesley

Reply #8 - 08. Mar 2007 at 22:28
Print Post  
I still enjoy watching Zorba and trying to sort out the views of Kokkino Xorio and Stavros.

IP Logged

limnes
Practically Cretan

Zodiac sign: Capricorn
Reply #7 - 08. Mar 2007 at 13:19
Print Post  
Ah, been meaning to get a copy of Moon Spinners as it much of it was filmed just across the valley from us in Houmeriakos. Roll Eyes

We'll be interested to see your review Smiley

Regards,

IP Logged

Davethelocksmith

Moonspinners security
& property services

Reply #6 - 07. Mar 2007 at 22:21
Print Post  
Hooly wrote on 06. Mar 2007 at 16:02:
Quote:
Ian Hendry and Wanda Ventham?

Filippos.

Yes Filippos you are correct, as Erik & Ann Shepherd. With Maurice Denham who played the old rogue Nestor Turton & Stefan Gryff as Captain Krasakis, a role he similarly played in Ferryman as the "Colonel".

Spookily, given this thread, having not seen Wanda Ventham on tv for years she appeared on Sunday evening on the ITV series "Lewis" which is a spin off from "Morse".

Pete

Just took delivery of the "moon spinners" with  Hayley mills / Eli wallach etc. will post soon on the outcome after watching it

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google :: Brits in Crete Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter :: Brits in Crete Yahoo Pinterest :: BritsinCrete Tumbr :: Britsincrete Instagram :: Britsincrete

Weather forecast for Heraklion Weather forecast for Rethimnon Weather forecast for Agios Nikolaos Weather forecast for Ierapetra Weather forecast for Chania

HOTELS NEAR AIRPORTS: Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - Chania/Souda (CHQ) - Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (HER) - Sitia Public Airport (JSH).

De werkelijkheid van het leven, het leven van de Emigrant in Kreta Griekenland, zoals die door de ogen van de Britse ingezetenen wordt gezien. | Die Wirklichkeit von leben die Überseelebensdauer in Kreta Griechenland, wie durch die Augen der britischen Bewohner gesehen. | La réalité de la vie, la vie d'outre-mer en Crète Grèce, comme vu par les yeux des résidants britanniques. | Realtà di vivere, la vita espatriata in Creta Grecia, come visto attraverso gli occhi dei residenti britannici. | V tat a k člen určit "Brit do Kreta" "BritsinCrete" tkanivo poloha. | A realidade de viver, a vida expatriate em Creta Grecia, como visto através dos olhos dos residentes britânicos. | La realidad de vivir, la vida expatriada en Creta Grecia, según lo visto a través de los ojos de los residentes británicos. | Живущ в Крете, межсуточная жизнь на греческом острове Креты для эмигрировавших резидентов. | Ζωντανός στην Κρήτη, καθημερινή ζωή στο ελληνικό νησί της Κρήτης για τους εκπατριζόμενους κατοίκους. | クレタに住んでいる、国外居住の常駐員のためのクレタのギリシャの島の日常の生命。| aae:Kret ar: كريت bs:Kreta bg:Крит ca:Creta cat:Creta cs:Kréta cym:Creta da:Kreta de:Kreta et:Kreeta el:Κρήτη es:Creta eo:Kreto eu:Kreta eus:Kreta fr:Crète he: כרתים hrv:Krit ko:크리티 지역 hr:Kreta id:Kreta is:Krít it:Creta la:Creta lb:Kreta lv:Krēta lb:Kreta lt:Kreta hu:Kréta nl:Kreta ja:クレタ島 no:Kreta pl:Kreta pt:Creta ro:Creta ru:Крит sl:Kreta sr:Крит fi:Kreeta sv:Kreta tr:Girit vec:Creta zho: 克里特 Crete. Βριτσιν is another display type!

« Board Index ‹ Board Top  

QR Code britsincretecouk | Google+ | Today's GREEK NAME DAYS and BABY NAMES | Feedage Grade A rated |

Forum installed & Maintained by SVS WebDesign