Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Traditional Greek Wedding (Read 17151 times)
lea and lou
Ret'd Global Moderator

not just Another BritInCrete!

Zodiac sign: Gemini
Re: Traditional Greek Wedding
Reply #54 - 15. Mar 2007 at 16:05
Print Post  
Marionb ,
Thank you. The best thing for us getting married here is that we will be surrounded by the people that count on our special day and not the people that feel they should come or only come to see how we do it as they won't pay for the flights to come here. Weddings don't have to be that expensive it depends on what you want and if it is what you want does it matter how much it costs?  Grin marionb wrote on 14. Mar 2007 at 15:13:
Thanks for the info. Congratulations to Lea and Lou. It is very refreshing to see the attitudes to weddings in Crete. My son married in England and it was just met with cynicism. One friend commented Why on earth does he want to do that? Why don't they just live togehter. I am now the grandmother of two beautiful grand children and the time was hurt by some of these comments. I was looking at the numbers of people who live together in crete and it is still very low. In England it is considerable.

But obviously I am old fashioned??????

Regards

Marion

IP Logged

Flights from so many UK airports
Iokasti

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #53 - 15. Mar 2007 at 11:00
Print Post  
Quote:
Living together is thought of as being engaged even if there's been no formal proposal. If the couple separate for any reason it's regarded as divorce.

In conversation recently we mentioned a young lady we are acquainted with and were told in disapproving tones that "she's been divorced twice." She's never been married.

That's not quite right. What they must have said is "xorise" which means "she split up" and can be used both for relationships and marriages. The proper term for divorce is "pire diazigio" and there's no way they would have said that if the couple had only been living together.

IP Logged

melvyn
B.I.C. Old Hand

Reply #52 - 15. Mar 2007 at 01:35
Print Post  
Hi D Neal. In this one post you have possibly floodlit more of the "cretan way" then in any other thread I've read in this place....

Melvyn likes cats and is occasionally sympathetic to turkeys.

IP Logged

D Neal
B.I.C. Old Hand

Not just another BritInCrete!

Reply #51 - 14. Mar 2007 at 20:33
Print Post  
Know of a lot of children born to "unmarried" parents here in the East of Crete.  But then I'm not sure whether their parents may have had a CIVIL marriage some time before the church one.  People here under 40, say, tend to have 2 weddings, the civil one first & the church one later, often considerably later.  We've been to weddings recently where the couples' children,  5 and 6 years old respectively, were in attendance as bridesmaids/pages. 

Villagers do not regard a civil marriage as the real thing, so often refer to these couples as unmarried when in fact they're legally married.  Hence the inverted commas.  Those who have had ONLY a civil marriage are regarded with great puzzlement, and I know only one Greek couple in this situation.  Even those who are stronly anti-church will undertake a church wedding.  I know one mixed couple (Cretan & foreign) who had a civil ceremony only, and when their neighbours heard of the coming event, their response on hearing that it wasn't to be held in the church but at the municipal office was "Never mind"!  We've also  noticed that people give their wedding gifts (where family are concerned, often large amounts of money, or property) for the church wedding only, not the civil one.  The couple who didn't have a church wedding, and won't, will simply not receive these gifts.  It seems to be rather like a sanction! 

This is just what we've experienced & heard of first hand.  The interpretations are our own, and I'm sure an anthropologist/social scientist would make better sense of them, or at least understand the reasons better than we do.  We've been quite struck, here, by the power of tradition in the society and the difficulties experienced by those who don't "tow the line".

IP Logged

Filippos
Ex Member

Reply #50 - 14. Mar 2007 at 19:32
Print Post  
marionb wrote on 14. Mar 2007 at 15:13:
I was looking at the numbers of people who live together in crete and it is still very low. 

Many young couples here do live together before marriage but if the girl becomes pregnant they almost inevitable get married well before the birth so very few children are born outside a marriage. Living together is thought of as being engaged even if there's been no formal proposal. If the couple separate for any reason it's regarded as divorce.

In conversation recently we mentioned a young lady we are acquainted with and were told in disapproving tones that "she's been divorced twice." She's never been married.

Filippos.

IP Logged

marionb

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #49 - 14. Mar 2007 at 15:13
Print Post  
Thanks for the info.  Congratulations to Lea and Lou.  It is very refreshing to see the attitudes to weddings in Crete.  My son married in England and it was just met with cynicism.  One friend commented Why on earth does he want to do that?  Why don't they just live togehter.  I am now the grandmother of two beautiful grand children and the time was hurt by some of these comments.  I was looking at the numbers of people who live together in crete and it is still very low.  In England it is considerable. 

But obviously I am old fashioned??????

Regards

Marion

IP Logged

jeansy

well hello

Reply #48 - 14. Mar 2007 at 14:56
Print Post  
Ros,
looking forward to meeting you this month then, you will probably get roped in for their move I expect.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Ros21

Not Yet Another BritInCrete!

Zodiac sign: Libra
Reply #47 - 14. Mar 2007 at 14:50
Print Post  
Jeansy,

probably sooner than that. I'm coming over 27th March for 1week. Their wedding will be my 4th visit this year.

Ros.

IP Logged

jeansy

well hello

Reply #46 - 14. Mar 2007 at 14:32
Print Post  
Hi ros21 yes I will be helping as I am the brit best man for lea, the food has been arranged at a local taverna so thankfully I will not have to worry about that. Looking forward to seeing you in november then.

Hi Marionb you  cook lots of goats the same way as 1 you gt the local ladies to boil it add veg and rice and tuck in. The lamb is even easier you chop it up into plate size pieces and clean it, soak in brine and salt it place pieces in very large baking trays put in the back of a pickup and drive to the local baker who then roasts it, simple really !!!! Tongue

IP Logged

Jue
B.I.C. Old Hand

There some of the time
missing it all of the
time

Zodiac sign: Pisces
Reply #45 - 14. Mar 2007 at 12:03
Print Post  
Sally and Marion, your description of the food at Fotinis has me drooling. I will definatly be trying to find it when I come over at the end of march. Cant wait,havent had a decent moussaka in months  Grin

Location Hertfordshire and West Crete.

IP Logged

marionb

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #44 - 14. Mar 2007 at 00:25
Print Post  
I do not those two people but at least they've got  their priorities right

wedding arranged
dress
furniture

How do you cook a goat?
How do you cook 80 goats?
The logistics is mind boggling

Marion

IP Logged

Ros21

Not Yet Another BritInCrete!

Zodiac sign: Libra
Reply #43 - 13. Mar 2007 at 22:38
Print Post  
Jeansy,
Are you helping out at Lea & Lou's wedding?  I'll be one of their guests.

Ros.

IP Logged

jeansy

well hello

Reply #42 - 13. Mar 2007 at 21:44
Print Post  
Yea Ken the weddings are interesting and is a great way to get to know the locals, the first couple of times the butchering made me go a bit green around the gills, and the smell is a bit high.

IP Logged

Ken1
Practically Cretan

Resident in Crete

Zodiac sign: Aries
Reply #41 - 13. Mar 2007 at 20:45
Print Post  
Excellent description Jeansy.Sounds really good fun although I would not fancy the butchering bit.I also note that you mention that part of the cost of the wedding feast is alleviated by the money gifts and that makes sense to me. Ken.

Always look on the bright side of life,de-dum,de-dum,de-dum,de-dum.

IP Logged

jeansy

well hello

Reply #40 - 13. Mar 2007 at 19:51
Print Post  
The biggest wedding that I have attended and worked on was for about 2,000 guests and completly filled the village square, with tables and chairs being borrowed from neighbouring villages. Every table had decorations and fancy wedding bread the head table was covered in flowers and ornate decorations.
As for the cost this usually falls to the family and members of the family may also donate goats and lambs etc, for this particular wedding we made 2 fridges using timber and plastic sheeting these measured about 3m x 1m x 1m and these were completly filled with red wine raki coke 7 up and bottles of water.
We butchered about 30 to 40 goats and 30 to 40 lambs, this takes almost all of the afternoon the ladies peeled and sliced more spuds than my 4x4 could carry, add in 2-3 sacks of rice which is then sorted grain by grain puddings for all it is one major undertaking , but the best part is all the village come out to help kids pensioners farmer bankers the whole community is there at some part of the day. Every single guest is served at the table by the locals with the biggest trays you ever did see.
If a family turn up at midnight a table will appear from somewhere and they all will be fed fresh food. Add into this all who work during the day are fed watered, the cooking pots are enormous and are running all day so if you ever get the chance offer your services to help you will enjoy most of it the butchering takes a little getting used to but it will be appreciated.
The money gifts help to give the young couple a head start and alleviates a part of the cost from the occasion. Just go along when invited and enjoy a real traditional wedding where everybody is there to enjoy themselves  and to give the  couple a day to remember.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google :: Brits in Crete Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter :: Brits in Crete Yahoo Pinterest :: BritsinCrete Tumbr :: Britsincrete Instagram :: Britsincrete

Weather forecast for Heraklion Weather forecast for Rethimnon Weather forecast for Agios Nikolaos Weather forecast for Ierapetra Weather forecast for Chania

HOTELS NEAR AIRPORTS: Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - Chania/Souda (CHQ) - Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (HER) - Sitia Public Airport (JSH).

De werkelijkheid van het leven, het leven van de Emigrant in Kreta Griekenland, zoals die door de ogen van de Britse ingezetenen wordt gezien. | Die Wirklichkeit von leben die Überseelebensdauer in Kreta Griechenland, wie durch die Augen der britischen Bewohner gesehen. | La réalité de la vie, la vie d'outre-mer en Crète Grèce, comme vu par les yeux des résidants britanniques. | Realtà di vivere, la vita espatriata in Creta Grecia, come visto attraverso gli occhi dei residenti britannici. | V tat a k člen určit "Brit do Kreta" "BritsinCrete" tkanivo poloha. | A realidade de viver, a vida expatriate em Creta Grecia, como visto através dos olhos dos residentes britânicos. | La realidad de vivir, la vida expatriada en Creta Grecia, según lo visto a través de los ojos de los residentes británicos. | Живущ в Крете, межсуточная жизнь на греческом острове Креты для эмигрировавших резидентов. | Ζωντανός στην Κρήτη, καθημερινή ζωή στο ελληνικό νησί της Κρήτης για τους εκπατριζόμενους κατοίκους. | クレタに住んでいる、国外居住の常駐員のためのクレタのギリシャの島の日常の生命。| aae:Kret ar: كريت bs:Kreta bg:Крит ca:Creta cat:Creta cs:Kréta cym:Creta da:Kreta de:Kreta et:Kreeta el:Κρήτη es:Creta eo:Kreto eu:Kreta eus:Kreta fr:Crète he: כרתים hrv:Krit ko:크리티 지역 hr:Kreta id:Kreta is:Krít it:Creta la:Creta lb:Kreta lv:Krēta lb:Kreta lt:Kreta hu:Kréta nl:Kreta ja:クレタ島 no:Kreta pl:Kreta pt:Creta ro:Creta ru:Крит sl:Kreta sr:Крит fi:Kreeta sv:Kreta tr:Girit vec:Creta zho: 克里特 Crete. Βριτσιν is another display type!

« Board Index ‹ Board Top  

QR Code britsincretecouk | Google+ | Today's GREEK NAME DAYS and BABY NAMES | Feedage Grade A rated |

Forum installed & Maintained by SVS WebDesign