Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Crete's Beaches Top The Rankings (Read 9515 times)
admin
Bic Administrator

GeraldinCrete

Re: Crete's Beaches Top The Rankings
Reply #14 - 19. Jun 2011 at 16:24

2011 Blue Flag Beaches in Crete

Earlier this month (June 2011) the Blue Flag Beach Awards for this year were announced.

While Greece was down in absolute number of world class beaches, Crete actually went up to 98 beaches (96 in 2010).

Crete still has the largest share of any of Greece's regions.

The Yachting Marina at AgNik is still rated highly.

More on the beaches and those that are access-friendly.

Treat fairly, those who treat you fairly. To shout is a sign of weakness. Confucious may have said: "Don't be easily hurt or offended. Take a deep breath, count to 10. Log off and make a cup of tea.
IP Logged

Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
Gerald
Bic Administrator

BritsinCrete - the Expat
Social Network in Greece

Crete's Beaches 2007 Rankings
Reply #13 - 22. Jun 2007 at 03:53

If you wish to know how each of Crete's Prefectures fair in the Blue Flag system for beaches in 2007, click to the respective link below and then there are detailed beach descriptions for each location.

http://www.blueflag.org/blueflag/2007/Greece/Chania
http://www.blueflag.org/blueflag/2007/Greece/Rethymno
http://www.blueflag.org/blueflag/2007/Greece/Irakleio
http://www.blueflag.org/blueflag/2007/Greece/Lasithi

Confucious may have said: "Don't be too easily hurt or offended. Take a deep breath. Count to 10. Log off and make a cup of tea, or a POT of tea. Don't answer until an hour from now, or tomorrow!"
IP Logged

Retired in Crete
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 13. Jun 2007 at 15:47

Fowles wrote on 13. Jun 2007 at 14:58:
the subject matter was beaches in Greece, specifically Crete and the Aghios Nikolaos area

I can stay silent no longer!

The subject was "Crete's Beaches Top The Rankings". It was you who introduced the Aghios Nikolaos area into the thread with your erroneous comments. You don't even know which beach is Voulisma Beach. It is the one pictured on the large hoarding at the traffic lights outside Ag Nik which Latsida has already identified for you.

I also doubt if you have been to what you call "the man made beach" this year as you talk about the sun umbrellas being too close together. There are no sun umbrellas there this year!

As Latsida has pointed out Voulisma beach is cleared of rubbish on an ongoing daily basis because the wind and surface water movements bring debris to the Istron beaches from the surrounding area.

Instead of moaning that "bins overflow at times, especially when Greek people descend for their weekend barbecues," you should be pleased that they put their rubbish in the bins! You can always go somewhere else at weekends when the beaches are crowded

Please stop running the area down. If it is so awfull why go on these beaches, you have plenty of others to choose from, in fact, why did you come to the area at all?

John
« Last Edit: 13. Jun 2007 at 15:49 by »  

IP Logged

Fowles
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #11 - 13. Jun 2007 at 14:58

Get's a bit tedious when people on forums reply to threads "look at the UK before you criticise here" - if you wanted me to I could sit here and criticise the whole world for it's down falls but the subject matter was beaches in Greece, specifically Crete and the Aghios Nikolaos area and whether you like it or not, the beaches in Istron, despite their beauty, constantly have rubbish brought in by tides and also bins overflow at times, especially when Greek people descend for their weekend barbecues, leaving their rubbish all over the beach, sometimes open tin cans that are not only rubbish but dangerous too!  We all know it's because they don't have the money here to educate, advertise, campaign against litter but the fact remains that the rubbish is here, unless I'm suffering from illusions!

IP Logged

wayne D

[ch928][ch959][ch955
][ch942] [ch954][ch945][ch955
][ch940] [ch949][ch965][ch967
][ch945][ch961][ch95
3][ch963][ch964][ch9
74]

Reply #10 - 12. Jun 2007 at 22:13

We have a secret weapon in the UK to keep the beaches clear......it's called the weather.
I think the best time for a swim in Crete in Summer is around 7am and 7pm. Not so busy then, but....................sssssshhhhhhhhh keep it to yourself
« Last Edit: 12. Jun 2007 at 22:14 by wayne D »  

IP Logged

sokin
Been around almost as long as Crete itself

Cretan Quote S.p.a.m.m.e.r

Reply #9 - 12. Jun 2007 at 19:47

Quote:
Many of Britains beaches could rival many elsewhere in the world except for the following reasons;
1. They get rained on a lot
2. They are attached to many tacky, gypsy filled holiday resorts, and
3. They have cess-pools for seas lapping against them.
I do not include many beaches in the southwest and Scotland in this description

http://www.cornwall-beaches.co.uk/photos/

for example.

I can't believe I am defending anything in this god-forsaken country Shocked

small secret. all the nice beaches in the world the moment they become known are being over runned by the hords and then they become normal beaches.
thus all the countries have nice ones. you just have to keep the secret for your self  Wink

IP Logged

wayne D

[ch928][ch959][ch955
][ch942] [ch954][ch945][ch955
][ch940] [ch949][ch965][ch967
][ch945][ch961][ch95
3][ch963][ch964][ch9
74]

Reply #8 - 12. Jun 2007 at 19:17

Many of Britains beaches could rival many elsewhere in the world except for the following reasons;
1. They get rained on a lot
2. They are attached to many tacky, gypsy filled holiday resorts, and
3. They have cess-pools for seas lapping against them.
I do not include many beaches in the southwest and Scotland in this description

http://www.cornwall-beaches.co.uk/photos/

for example.

I can't believe I am defending anything in this god-forsaken country Shocked

IP Logged

sokin

Reply #7 - 12. Jun 2007 at 10:01

yes we are scams.
yes we do thing the ''easy'' way some times.
but just to those that love to critisize lots.
have a look back home before you talk about us Wink

IP Logged

latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #6 - 11. Jun 2007 at 14:34

That could have been an algae bloom.Voulisma beach is the one on the main road with the two tavernas at the top you drive off the main road and there is a  car park and then you walk down steep steps past a cantina to the bay at the bottom .you cant see the road from the beach.I love snorkelling and the sea is very clear there.Is the man made beach the one which is to your left as you face the sea?if so there never seems to be many people there Cheesy

IP Logged

Fowles
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #5 - 11. Jun 2007 at 13:13

I'm not sure which beach you call Voulisma - as you turn off the main highway you can go right which is Golden Bay and has the cantina and loos, or left which did have a cantina until it mysteriously got blown sky high last year.  If you turn left you go down to the man made beach which was constructed last year.  The umbrellas have been placed far too close to each other (this is my opinion) and therefore if you do hire sunbeds you are practically on top of your neighbour.  Once settled you can then enjoy the view to the front and immediately behind you, about 3 feet, you can enjoy the clouds of dust and exhaust fumes coming from the traffic which runs constantly up and down to say nothing of the danger you are in should a vehicle not quite negotiate the road edge.  Last year, from our home in Istron we watched as a bright yellow scum appeared out to sea and slowly made it's way into this beach.  Puzzled by it's vibrant colour and quantity, we drove down to the beach to invesitgate and to be honest never really worked out what the substance was but we decided that swimming was off for at least a week.  Whilst I understand that this sort of pollution is at times unavoidable, I can't help wondering how it is that the inspections carried out by the powers that be never seem to coincide with these unfortunate happenings.

IP Logged

latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #4 - 10. Jun 2007 at 14:05

Voulisma beach and Ammoundara are both beautiful  and are cleaned daily and have clear water ,tested regulary,and all the facilities any rubbish plastic abgs etc are usually borne by the wind from mirabello bay.Ammoundara is usually awarded a blue flag,dont know about the others so I dont see how you can say that.

IP Logged

Fowles
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #3 - 10. Jun 2007 at 13:24

Blue flags are not awarded just because there is no rubbish on the beach.  It relies on services provided as well as many other important details.  However, on the rubbish thing alone I cannot see any of the beaches along the Istron stretch being awarded this accolade!

IP Logged

Davethelocksmith

Moonspinners security
& property services

Zodiac sign: Taurus
Reply #2 - 02. Jun 2007 at 23:49

When we go down to the beach we take a black sack and clear any rubbish from the waters edge.
If all residents / part timers like me Cry did this we can get more blue
or near blue / clear beaches in crete

Dave .

IP Logged

sokin

Reply #1 - 02. Jun 2007 at 19:52

could have been better. even if greek i will say that if the way they calculate the cleaness of a beach is calculated the same way goverments make up the basket of need in a family then it should not be 100% correct.
finally if i am correct (i have not read the links) it also a matter of if the local authorities will ask for their beach to be checked out and participate in the blue flags. some authorities dont do it as it will cost them money to follow the regulations. so there might be a clean one but not stated due to luck of money.
last comment. by advertising a clean beach you also take the chance of spoiling that place as the hordes will arrive to ''enjoy'' that clean beach

IP Logged

Gerald
Bic Administrator

BritsinCrete - the Expat
Social Network in Greece

Crete's Beaches Top The Rankings
31. May 2007 at 12:01

It is that time of year again when the the worldwide's Blue Flag Scheme announces the annual status of the best beaches and marinas.

According to Greece's state TV - ERT, the country has 428 beaches qualifying (411 last year) and marinas 9 (5 last year).

Greece comes second overall to Spain out of some 49 countries which participate from Russia to South Africa, England/N. Ireland to New Zealand, Wales to Costa Rica, Italy and France.

Crete continues to shine in the eco-standings of beaches.

According to statistics, the prefectures winning the most blue flags in the last 3 years ( 2005-2007) are Crete's Lasithi are Hania, along with Halkidiki, the Dodecanese and Corfu.

Crete leads in the island rankings, along with Corfu, Rhodes, Lesvos and Kefallonia.

The full list will be published on June 5 on the Copenhagen headquartered, Blue Flag organisation's website http://www.blueflag.org/.

The Blue Flag organisation responsible for Greece is the Hellenic Society for the Protection of Nature, Athens http://www.eepf.gr.

Gerald
« Last Edit: 19. Jun 2011 at 16:36 by admin »  

Confucious may have said: "Don't be too easily hurt or offended. Take a deep breath. Count to 10. Log off and make a cup of tea, or a POT of tea. Don't answer until an hour from now, or tomorrow!"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google :: Brits in Crete Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter :: Brits in Crete Yahoo Pinterest :: BritsinCrete Tumbr :: Britsincrete Instagram :: Britsincrete

Weather forecast for Heraklion Weather forecast for Rethimnon Weather forecast for Agios Nikolaos Weather forecast for Ierapetra Weather forecast for Chania

HOTELS NEAR AIRPORTS: Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - Chania/Souda (CHQ) - Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (HER) - Sitia Public Airport (JSH).

De werkelijkheid van het leven, het leven van de Emigrant in Kreta Griekenland, zoals die door de ogen van de Britse ingezetenen wordt gezien. | Die Wirklichkeit von leben die Überseelebensdauer in Kreta Griechenland, wie durch die Augen der britischen Bewohner gesehen. | La réalité de la vie, la vie d'outre-mer en Crète Grèce, comme vu par les yeux des résidants britanniques. | Realtà di vivere, la vita espatriata in Creta Grecia, come visto attraverso gli occhi dei residenti britannici. | V tat a k člen určit "Brit do Kreta" "BritsinCrete" tkanivo poloha. | A realidade de viver, a vida expatriate em Creta Grecia, como visto através dos olhos dos residentes britânicos. | La realidad de vivir, la vida expatriada en Creta Grecia, según lo visto a través de los ojos de los residentes británicos. | Живущ в Крете, межсуточная жизнь на греческом острове Креты для эмигрировавших резидентов. | Ζωντανός στην Κρήτη, καθημερινή ζωή στο ελληνικό νησί της Κρήτης για τους εκπατριζόμενους κατοίκους. | クレタに住んでいる、国外居住の常駐員のためのクレタのギリシャの島の日常の生命。| aae:Kret ar: كريت bs:Kreta bg:Крит ca:Creta cat:Creta cs:Kréta cym:Creta da:Kreta de:Kreta et:Kreeta el:Κρήτη es:Creta eo:Kreto eu:Kreta eus:Kreta fr:Crète he: כרתים hrv:Krit ko:크리티 지역 hr:Kreta id:Kreta is:Krít it:Creta la:Creta lb:Kreta lv:Krēta lb:Kreta lt:Kreta hu:Kréta nl:Kreta ja:クレタ島 no:Kreta pl:Kreta pt:Creta ro:Creta ru:Крит sl:Kreta sr:Крит fi:Kreeta sv:Kreta tr:Girit vec:Creta zho: 克里特 Crete. Βριτσιν is another display type!

« Board Index ‹ Board Top  

QR Code britsincretecouk | Google+ | Today's GREEK NAME DAYS and BABY NAMES | Feedage Grade A rated |

Forum installed & Maintained by SVS WebDesign