Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Buying a car advice please (Read 5637 times)
skaletaguy

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Zodiac sign: Gemini
Re: Buying a car advice please
Reply #27 - 15. Oct 2007 at 18:56
Print Post  
thanks judy

IP Logged

blackbird
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #26 - 15. Oct 2007 at 13:46
Print Post  
there are some good second hand deals at this time of year with the hire companies in the area,Iwork for one so I know; the company I work for in Stalis is selling 6 various models at the moment!!
worth considering.

IP Logged

Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
Judy

Remember Crete 38 yrs
ago

Reply #25 - 15. Oct 2007 at 07:57
Print Post  
Skaetaguy, you would not pay a full year if you bought the car in November because the insurance would be left on from the previous person - just renew in January.

IP Logged

skaletaguy

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #24 - 14. Oct 2007 at 19:17
Print Post  
what does right to roam mean

IP Logged

sharphero
B.I.C. Old Hand

Reply #23 - 14. Oct 2007 at 14:14
Print Post  
Skaletaguy....Be on the safe side and buy in January.... Preferably early in the month then you get one year "Right to roam"

IP Logged

Crete4me
Been around almost as long as Crete itself

Nowanother BritInCrete!

Reply #22 - 14. Oct 2007 at 13:41
Print Post  
Topdriller wrote on 14. Oct 2007 at 12:04:
You'll also come to learn why they drive in the middle of the road i.e. there are lose rocks and stones down the side and if you do drive on the right side you may well damage a wheel, break the suspension etc.

It also helps them to "see round the corner" prior to over taking on the bend!

There's always a bl**dy something!&&&&

IP Logged

Topdriller
Practically Cretan

A Brit with a Cretan Heart

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #21 - 14. Oct 2007 at 12:04
Print Post  
It should also be noted that the insurance covers the car, not the owner, which means once insured anyone with a valid driving license can drive your car e.g. visiting friends, family etc.   

Comprehensive insurance is more expensive than the UK so expect to pay 900 euros for something with 2 litres and over with an excess of 600+ euros for each claim.  Most people go for the third party fire and theft option which for the same size of vehicle would be around the 500 euro mark. 

Since most accidents here are shunts, bumps and scrapes - rather than head on collisions - the third party options seems the most sensible way to go.  It should also be noted that garage repair costs are generally not as high as the UK i.e. a far lower labour charge and lower cost for parts.

Something else, if you do have a "fender bender" don't expect the local involved to give you his name, address and insurance company's name !!  He'll just check his car, shrug his shoulders and drive off.  Of course, if it's you fault then expect him to want you to pay for a full respray !!

You'll also find the locals drive in the middle of the road and for the first month or two you'll be scraping your paint with bushes etc as you strive to avoid them.  After a while you'll learn to drive like they do and the paint scraping bit reduces to maybe once a week !  You'll also come to learn why they drive in the middle of the road i.e. there are lose rocks and stones down the side and if you do drive on the right side you may well damage a wheel, break the suspension etc.

We need men who can dream of things that never were - JFK

IP Logged

skaletaguy

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #20 - 14. Oct 2007 at 11:36
Print Post  
So the car tax isnt paid on a pro rata basis then.  You could end up paying a full year in November say, then another full year in December.  WOW

Best to buy a car in December then?

Thanks for the valuable information.

IP Logged

jeansy

well hello

Reply #19 - 14. Oct 2007 at 11:30
Print Post  
Hi we bought a second hand mitsubushi pajero pini, part ex'ed my hyundi accent got 50 eu more than I paid for it 18 mnths before, wore the dealer down by just offering less until we came to an agrrement total cost with extras for a 2 yr old 4x4 with 20,000 k was 16,000 -minus p/x at 5550 so  not a bad deal
It is a 2.0 litre so the tax jumped through the roof to 364.00 eu, but for work it is ideal and for towing boats superb, have a good look around the second hand dealers and some of the main dealers as they often keep p/x's out the back of the dealership, also if you are going to buy, nov/dec is a good time as more deals available and do not forget the new tax for the year is payable once a year in december, so if you buy a car in october you will pay 1 yrs tax for this current year then pay again in december for the following year.
Good luck
Paul

IP Logged

jdrcool
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Zodiac sign: Aries
Reply #18 - 12. Oct 2007 at 23:22
Print Post  
hi all

having just moved out we have been looking into cars - all the advice seems to say the best bet is to buy new - however, i have discussed the subject with my cousin - in - law (a local all his life) and he reckons that you can get a good second hand car for about 5000 and just shook his head when i told him what i had read on various sites. I will keep you all informed especially if what he says turns out to be true!!! But if i do end up buying new - would it be best to just buy outright or are there good finance packages out there? would i need a credit score in crete to be able to take finance? I can afford to buy outright but not sure if finance would be easier for a couple of years. thanks for any replies - James

IP Logged

Judy

Remember Crete 38 yrs
ago

Reply #17 - 10. Oct 2007 at 10:11
Print Post  
We have noticed the price of fuel rising quite considerably over the past couple of years.   And remember that pay here is very low compared with the UK.

IP Logged

john4d
B.I.C. Old Hand

Not just another BritInCrete!

Reply #16 - 09. Oct 2007 at 22:59
Print Post  
Insurance in Crete is much more expensive than in the UK. You should also be aware that the majority of 'comprehensive' insurance only covers you for third party if you take your car outside of Greece and into the EU. Some brokers have even told me that 'it is illegal to offer comprehensive insurance outside of Greece'  though I am sure that this is not the case. Expect to pay 2500 pa premium for a 50,000 vehicle, if you have a full 'no-claim' bonus.

John

"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
IP Logged

skaletaguy

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #15 - 09. Oct 2007 at 08:15
Print Post  
1.4 cars in uk pay about 100 pounds a year, so its still 50 pounds a year cheaper in crete.  mots in britain essential for cars over 3 years old but that is an annual requirement, again unlike crete. 

all in all, its definately cheaper in crete i am sure.  fuel is for a start.

thanks for the info

IP Logged

Judy

Remember Crete 38 yrs
ago

Reply #14 - 09. Oct 2007 at 07:37
Print Post  
Oh yes, there is road tax!  For smaller cars, it is 93 euros (up to 1.4), then it moves up to 161 (up to 2,000) when it moves up to 374! - and then for anything 2.5 and more it is not much change from 500 euros.  So quite big increments.  Could even increase again this year for next - we will wait and see when the slips come in in December.  Not sure how much it is in the UK now - have been away some years but I have a feeling that it is not as much as Greece.  Correct me if I am wrong.

MOTs are definitely not optional - once a car is 4 years old, it has to be checked and then it is every 2 years after that.  They now stick a yellow sticker on the car to alert the authorities when a vehicle is lacking a MOT.

Having said all this, I see old trucks belonging to locals around our area which have probably never had MOTs in their lives (they probably run to road tax) but I'm sure half of them do not insure.  Most peopler here seem to get third party (plus fire and theft in most cases) as fully comp seems to be very expensive.

So you see, one of the many things that is now as if not more expensive than the UK.

IP Logged

skaletaguy

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #13 - 08. Oct 2007 at 22:00
Print Post  
hi

i didnt think there was road tax in crete. was under the impression that insurance was essential, and that mot's are optional as well.

gee, the greeks are catching up with britain very quickly

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google :: Brits in Crete Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter :: Brits in Crete Yahoo Pinterest :: BritsinCrete Tumbr :: Britsincrete Instagram :: Britsincrete

Weather forecast for Heraklion Weather forecast for Rethimnon Weather forecast for Agios Nikolaos Weather forecast for Ierapetra Weather forecast for Chania

HOTELS NEAR AIRPORTS: Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - Chania/Souda (CHQ) - Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (HER) - Sitia Public Airport (JSH).

De werkelijkheid van het leven, het leven van de Emigrant in Kreta Griekenland, zoals die door de ogen van de Britse ingezetenen wordt gezien. | Die Wirklichkeit von leben die Überseelebensdauer in Kreta Griechenland, wie durch die Augen der britischen Bewohner gesehen. | La réalité de la vie, la vie d'outre-mer en Crète Grèce, comme vu par les yeux des résidants britanniques. | Realtà di vivere, la vita espatriata in Creta Grecia, come visto attraverso gli occhi dei residenti britannici. | V tat a k člen určit "Brit do Kreta" "BritsinCrete" tkanivo poloha. | A realidade de viver, a vida expatriate em Creta Grecia, como visto através dos olhos dos residentes britânicos. | La realidad de vivir, la vida expatriada en Creta Grecia, según lo visto a través de los ojos de los residentes británicos. | Живущ в Крете, межсуточная жизнь на греческом острове Креты для эмигрировавших резидентов. | Ζωντανός στην Κρήτη, καθημερινή ζωή στο ελληνικό νησί της Κρήτης για τους εκπατριζόμενους κατοίκους. | クレタに住んでいる、国外居住の常駐員のためのクレタのギリシャの島の日常の生命。| aae:Kret ar: كريت bs:Kreta bg:Крит ca:Creta cat:Creta cs:Kréta cym:Creta da:Kreta de:Kreta et:Kreeta el:Κρήτη es:Creta eo:Kreto eu:Kreta eus:Kreta fr:Crète he: כרתים hrv:Krit ko:크리티 지역 hr:Kreta id:Kreta is:Krít it:Creta la:Creta lb:Kreta lv:Krēta lb:Kreta lt:Kreta hu:Kréta nl:Kreta ja:クレタ島 no:Kreta pl:Kreta pt:Creta ro:Creta ru:Крит sl:Kreta sr:Крит fi:Kreeta sv:Kreta tr:Girit vec:Creta zho: 克里特 Crete. Βριτσιν is another display type!

« Board Index ‹ Board Top  

QR Code britsincretecouk | Google+ | Today's GREEK NAME DAYS and BABY NAMES | Feedage Grade A rated |

Forum installed & Maintained by SVS WebDesign