Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Residence Permits (Read 17898 times)
JohnD
A True BIC'er

A Part Time BritInCrete!

Zodiac sign: Leo
Re: Residence Permits
Reply #24 - 10. Jan 2015 at 15:35
Post Tools
Having just retired and intending to spend more time here in Crete,  I decided to buy a car. So first things first - the residents certificate. This actually proved to be very easy to obtain from Vamos police station. I was advised to phone first to find out what day to attend as the officer responsible works both in Vamos  and Chania (for those that want the Vamos number it is 28250 22218 for other police stations around Chania  goto http://www.gtp.gr/TDirectoryDetails.asp?ID=4584 scroll to the bottom of the page and select a link to the nearest station). I went on a Monday in December 2014 and was asked for 2 passport photos, proof of health coverage (I had both the EHIC and a private insurance policy taken out before I had retired. The police officer indicated that the EHIC would have been sufficient) and a copy of my passport. I then had to fill in a form which detailed when and where I had entered Greece, where I was staying, whether I would be employed in Greece parents names and a contact number. I was then asked to come back the next day to pick up the certificate after phoning to make sure it was ready. Seemed all very easy and fuss free and I am now driving around  in my new (secondhand) car.

However having read this and other forums regarding what was required, I did take a whole lot of other stuff with me 'just in case'. This was a bank passbook, electric bill, afm number and extra copies of photos and copies of my passport - none of which was needed.

John

IP Logged

Flights from so many UK airports
admin
Bic Administrator

GeraldinCrete

Re: #Residence Permits
Reply #23 - 12. Jun 2014 at 14:03
Post Tools
Update on Residency

Four years on, just checking if anything has changed or is different, as this is a useful thread for any newcomer who wishes to stay on Crete or in other parts of Greece
« Last Edit: 12. Jun 2014 at 14:05 by admin »  

Treat fairly, those who treat you fairly. To shout is a sign of weakness. Confucious may have said: "Don't be easily hurt or offended. Take a deep breath, count to 10. Log off and make a cup of tea.
IP Logged

latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #22 - 18. Sep 2010 at 14:24
Post Tools
if you have recently been issued with an IKA Health book you probably already have an AMKA number .
http://www.amka.gr/aparaitita_en.html
« Last Edit: 12. Jun 2014 at 14:01 by admin » 
Reason: activated link, no more have to copy/paste 

IP Logged

anne-marie
Been around almost as long as Crete itself

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Reply #21 - 18. Sep 2010 at 13:41
Post Tools
The tourist police don't issue residents permits or the never used to. It's what they call the 'Aliens Department' in the main police station. They especially don't do it in Rethymno as apparently the tourist police don't even exist any-more, part of all the cuts.

The ins and outs of living here seem to have become more complicated with the amount of foreigners now arriving. If the laws haven't changed, you don't need a residence permit to stay for under three months, after that time any-thing you will try and do regarding phones, cars, houses etc etc will need one and the Greeks are within their rights to issue them as they themselves have to register and have an identity card issued via the police.

The person who should be able to give you all the info that you need regarding whether you need to transfer money etc is an accountant as this now depends on things like, do you have a swimming pool, is one of you, if you are a couple, earning or receiving any monies within the UK etc. The only reason that I know about this is that my neighbour has just been through all the ins and outs of this due to the new or newish laws.

AMCA numbers have nothing to do with residents permits as far as I know. They have been installed in readiness for when all the insurances, IKA, TAXI etc merge.

IP Logged

umaremasu in Crete

Aspiring BritInCrete!

Zodiac sign: Pisces
Reply #20 - 17. Sep 2010 at 11:35
Post Tools
Having arrived in Crete only just over two weeks ago, we did rather well getting residents permit, apart from initially being directed to Rethymnon rather than our local town's police station.
We were given the police station phone number and the contact name for the guy who processes them there, he was able to tell us what time to go down when he was there.
Passport, 3 passport photos, bankbook showing we had 2500 in the bank to support us (not that that would last very long) health card (he was happy with the EHIC as we haven't sorted S1 and IKA out yet), and just in case, we took along AFM numbers which he didn't want.
Card (yellow now, with no expiry date) ready next day, and we collected car 2 days later after insurance sorted.

Next hurdle is IKA!!

IP Logged

greeksun
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Libra
Reply #19 - 09. Sep 2010 at 22:07
Post Tools
The "blue card" residence permits are the old ones; new ones exist now which alledgedly don't have to be replaced.  Take to the police station passport photos, passport, Greek bank book and IKA book(s)and the old blue residence permits.  We waited about 10 days and got our new permits without any problem.  I THINK we took our British NHS cards, but as we are Pensioners our Greek IKA books were more important.

IP Logged

esxman

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #18 - 07. Aug 2010 at 09:32
Post Tools
We renewed our residents permit , after living here for 5 years .We were asked to fill in the form from our local police station and include the following when applying
1. 4 passport size photos
2. 2 copies of the passport , and to bring along the original
3. 2 copies of the original pink residents permit
4.( Being retired) 2 copies of the IKA health book

we came back the next day and collected the blue card , the boss had to countersign it .
This is Vamos area , I understand different areas have different ideas , and we did not need to prove income.Hope this helps .

IP Logged

Callie
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Taurus
Reply #17 - 11. Jul 2010 at 22:06
Post Tools
yes you do ... have fun getting it!  Smiley

IP Logged

stalos
Been around almost as long as Crete itself

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Reply #16 - 03. Jun 2010 at 22:15
Post Tools
Vince Try the cop shop in Galatas did ours no problem in 2 days

IP Logged

poohbear
B.I.C. Old Hand

Another BritInCrete!

Reply #15 - 03. Jun 2010 at 14:26
Post Tools
Ours was issued by the Tourist Police in Hersonissos.  We know a couple who went all the way to Heraklion to get their permits to be told that they shouldn't have gone there but since they were there they would just issue the permits there and then!

Living the good life

IP Logged

Ros21

Not Yet Another BritInCrete!

Zodiac sign: Libra
Reply #14 - 03. Jun 2010 at 10:29
Post Tools
I was told to go to the Tourist Police in Heraklion & went armed with all my papers, oh no!!! Even though I live in Heraklion prefecture, I come under Agios Mironas Police for the issuing of Residence Card. Not a problem I got the card 18 months ago. It should be your local Police station that you apply to.
Mine was definately NOT issued by the Tourist Police, although I am aware that in Heraklion some peoples have been.
« Last Edit: 03. Jun 2010 at 10:32 by Ros21 »  

IP Logged

poohbear
B.I.C. Old Hand

Another BritInCrete!

Reply #13 - 03. Jun 2010 at 09:32
Post Tools
It's usually the Tourist Police that you have to get it from.  Can't help with where you are as I'm at the other end of the island.

Living the good life

IP Logged

Vince
B.I.C. Old Hand

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Aquarius
Reply #12 - 03. Jun 2010 at 08:59
Post Tools
Do you have to obtain the "residence permit" from your local police station or is there another local source?

I live about 10 miles West of Chania

cheers

Vince

IP Logged

latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #11 - 01. Jun 2010 at 13:14
Post Tools
I just transfer my money direct via the internet.

IP Logged

Binx
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Moonchild
Reply #10 - 01. Jun 2010 at 00:32
Post Tools
You have to have an Affeme , this has your tax number on it and other things so I believe.

We pay tax in England as it is cheaper so far to do that. If you live here long term you have to prove to the accountant that you can support yourself, so you need to transfer about 10 grand a year to the  bank here, and get a statement from them.

HSBC as far as I know have a " fax indemnity", we have not used that  way to transfer money here to the bank. A fax indemnity  will transfer money over for about 20 quid or so.

We use currenciesdirect.com, if you transfer money over 500 quid with them  you pay no commission and get top rates and not tourist exchange.

I cannot recomment this company highly enough , as they look after you well.

I think you need to get a good accountant here to sort you out, our Greek friend sorted all this out for us.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google :: Brits in Crete Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter :: Brits in Crete Yahoo Pinterest :: BritsinCrete Tumbr :: Britsincrete Instagram :: Britsincrete

Weather forecast for Heraklion Weather forecast for Rethimnon Weather forecast for Agios Nikolaos Weather forecast for Ierapetra Weather forecast for Chania

HOTELS NEAR AIRPORTS: Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - Chania/Souda (CHQ) - Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (HER) - Sitia Public Airport (JSH).

De werkelijkheid van het leven, het leven van de Emigrant in Kreta Griekenland, zoals die door de ogen van de Britse ingezetenen wordt gezien. | Die Wirklichkeit von leben die Überseelebensdauer in Kreta Griechenland, wie durch die Augen der britischen Bewohner gesehen. | La réalité de la vie, la vie d'outre-mer en Crète Grèce, comme vu par les yeux des résidants britanniques. | Realtà di vivere, la vita espatriata in Creta Grecia, come visto attraverso gli occhi dei residenti britannici. | V tat a k člen určit "Brit do Kreta" "BritsinCrete" tkanivo poloha. | A realidade de viver, a vida expatriate em Creta Grecia, como visto através dos olhos dos residentes britânicos. | La realidad de vivir, la vida expatriada en Creta Grecia, según lo visto a través de los ojos de los residentes británicos. | Живущ в Крете, межсуточная жизнь на греческом острове Креты для эмигрировавших резидентов. | Ζωντανός στην Κρήτη, καθημερινή ζωή στο ελληνικό νησί της Κρήτης για τους εκπατριζόμενους κατοίκους. | クレタに住んでいる、国外居住の常駐員のためのクレタのギリシャの島の日常の生命。| aae:Kret ar: كريت bs:Kreta bg:Крит ca:Creta cat:Creta cs:Kréta cym:Creta da:Kreta de:Kreta et:Kreeta el:Κρήτη es:Creta eo:Kreto eu:Kreta eus:Kreta fr:Crète he: כרתים hrv:Krit ko:크리티 지역 hr:Kreta id:Kreta is:Krít it:Creta la:Creta lb:Kreta lv:Krēta lb:Kreta lt:Kreta hu:Kréta nl:Kreta ja:クレタ島 no:Kreta pl:Kreta pt:Creta ro:Creta ru:Крит sl:Kreta sr:Крит fi:Kreeta sv:Kreta tr:Girit vec:Creta zho: 克里特 Crete. Βριτσιν is another display type!

« Board Index ‹ Board Top  

QR Code britsincretecouk | Google+ | Today's GREEK NAME DAYS and BABY NAMES | Feedage Grade A rated |

Forum installed & Maintained by SVS WebDesign