Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75  Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Cost of Living (Read 277410 times)
Takis
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Re: Cost of Living
Reply #22 - 13. Nov 2009 at 01:51
There are no actions to perform.
...It is a feasible idea...
-I needed "QUICKSILVER" Premium 2-Stroke oil (for outboards),
in Heralion, the price has reached...49eu!!!!(down fr...50!!!) -(2 yrs ago I bought fr Ay -Nik, for...23eu!!
-So, I got together 3 friends, explained to them the..."plan", looked at the internet, and brought-in 12 x 4ltrs, for 380, -incl. 70 for DHL...that is 35eu each..
-It took a week to be DELIVERED at the Village..Supermarket!!
-Anyway..If a team of people get together to do that, I ll send you to a Greek Lorry Co based in...Daventry...I m positive that it will be MUCH cheaper than anywhere else..(out of experience..)
-Anyway, we ALL know that the word "competition" is -basically- unknown to the retailers here -which is basically the problem..Cost of living (before we talk about the euro that is) -is about 30% higher on food (meat, Veg and  Fruit mainly) -and most household items..

-(However one (unrelated) thing I love here, is the fact that if you want i.e oranges, or peaches, grapes, spinach, broccoli etc, you HAVE to wait for the "season"!!!
-Isn t it how it used to be???) Huh
« Last Edit: 13. Nov 2009 at 01:56 by Takis »  

IP Logged

Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #21 - 31. Oct 2009 at 10:30
LGiddings,
you can get deliveries from M and S here but you cannot order online you can only order at a  participating store in the UK..so you would have to get a friend to do this or phone the store direct.
the cost of delivery is 15 pounds

IP Logged

moggy1923
Practically Cretan

BiC Want another holiday

Zodiac sign:
Reply #20 - 31. Oct 2009 at 01:21
Wow, my experience each European country has certain products at lower prices.  Greece is known for example for having expensive price washing up liquid.  You seem to know better than me on other products.  Why not get a Brit holidaymaker to take things over for you?
Surely there are goods in Greece they would like to take back, so should have space in their bags for the return.  Me I live in Uk & my suitcase is full of presents when i go over, for on my return like to take, cheese some kilos, honey if I have room and couple of kilos of raki.  There are so many bargains to take back, but am limited by weight for return, so try to limit what I take out that I will be taking back.  As for M&S shoppers why not also look at Primark for children as well.  i onced pm's someone i knew on this forum I had got them some mat. cheddar cheese, but they never returned my pm and not sure where it went, probably the bin, as a greek would not appreciate it.  now unfortunately is winter season, but in the summer, why not ask on this site for Tourist help?  Also in the summer, sometime cheap return charter flights so a time for a quick turn-around for shopping or picking up pre-ordered items.  Also there is sometimes someone who says they have space in their vehicle so another chance for someone to bring maybe a couple of dozen deodorants over for you!.  best moggy

IP Logged

LGiddings2

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Taurus
Reply #19 - 30. Oct 2009 at 23:07
Hi,
In reply to BJ - Marks and Spencers now deliver to over 80 countries around the world, including some really remote and or bizarre places but not to Greece.
When I emailed customer services I received a patronising reply saying that they had received no feedback or interest from expats in Greece - which was the reason they did not plan to ship here; however they do ship to Bulgaria! I cannot believe they have any more interest from people living there!
Can we all please bombard M&S so they will start sending me stuff?!! Pretty please!
And for any one wondering why I don't buy local; I have 3 children to dress and the choice here is awful overpriced market tat or gorgeous but uber expensive designer wear. Apart from Zara I am stuck! And the M&S here is hugely overpriced!
xx LGiddings Smiley

IP Logged

witsender9

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Reply #18 - 30. Oct 2009 at 18:04
Getting the cost of living down is a primary concern to most of us. With this in mind I googled 'home made deodorant, toothpaste etc' with very interesting results. Thought I'd pass this on. Did the same with food, e.g. - money saving recipes. Thank you for starting this topic it really got me thinking and taking action.

IP Logged

witsender9

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Reply #17 - 20. Oct 2009 at 11:51
Agree with you entirely. I passed on information I'd picked up as I went along. Now I buy greek products or supermarket own brand. Washing powder is expensive but I watch for the offers. Example Ariel, the largest size + the next size down banded together was 19 euros and at the check out received 2 large fairy liquids. Was well pleased. We wanted to bring over my husbands kilt thats why I know about Nomad, he can't get a kilt here!
In Champion I bought a greek hair colour for 3.90 euros and got a friend to translate instructions and it was great, every bit as good as what I used in the UK.
HP sauce is my weakness and I can get it here no problem and the butcher opposite Sinatras, Georgiopolis has excellent black pudding, what more do I need?............
Last winter when we were sitting talking about bringing things over was all about nostalgia, all about settling in and a bit of homesickness. As this winter approaches my cupboards are stocked with greek products that are exciting, interesting and stretch my reading skills. For I have moved on and I beleive truly moved here.

IP Logged

latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #16 - 20. Oct 2009 at 10:58
Hi Jon,here is a site for you
britishonlinesupermarket.com
they stock most items and send to all parts of the EU for a fixed price per weight with a deal from Parcelforce .
« Last Edit: 20. Oct 2009 at 10:59 by latsida »  

IP Logged

Topdriller
Practically Cretan

A Brit with a Cretan Heart

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #15 - 20. Oct 2009 at 10:50
Sokin,

If my wife could find an equivalent, lower priced locally manufactured product on the Halkiadakis shelves then believe me - she would far prefer to buy it here.

I buy all my clothes in the States - always have because of my height (6' 6") - and the lower prices they sell for.  Cretan shops cater even less for tall people than UK based shops.  The reason is obvious i.e. Greeks (and indeed the majority of Brits) are not as tall as I am.

Because of this, clothes for tall folk are usually more expensive in the UK because there is a smaller market and therefore prices have to be tagged higher because monthly sales are lower.

I'd also suggest that we buy branded goods - such as shampoo, washing powders etc - because through trial and error we know that they work.  I'm quite sure that equivalent Greek made goods work equally well but what would it cost to try all the goods on the shelves to find one that does the same as the branded goods we've used for years.

And finally, there are some things you can't change i.e. like it or not most Brits have been brought up using such things as deodorants.  We may well have been brainwashed by UK advertisers but I for one like to know that I don't smell of stale sweat when eating out with friends, queuing in the bank etc.  In my experience the same can't always be said for the people who are eating at the next table or standing in front of me in the queue?!

Jon

We need men who can dream of things that never were - JFK

IP Logged

sokin
Been around almost as long as Crete itself

Cretan Quote S.p.a.m.m.e.r

Reply #14 - 20. Oct 2009 at 00:08
lets think a bit differently.
say halkiadakis. 32 shops selling things in crete. say that they want to have 100 specific products of a brand in all their shop (eg soap). they will make for example 32x100 items = 3200 items. lets say they order another 3200 just so they stock up. it comes to 6400 items.
does sainsburies have 32 shops? do they have the same buying price like halkidakis does in order to add their profit and sell?
add on top the 19% vat and that we import some things and you can see why some of the expense is higher here.
needless to say that its also higher due to greeks charging normally more and operating under less competition and ''trusts'' among companies that set up prices the way they like. (milk scandal was out a few months ago)

so the qustions now are.
do you still get the same product just coz it has a name or you get a different one that does the same thing but doesnt have a brand name?
then again do you really need all the products you get or are we buying things coz we are a consumers society?

if the answer is yes to the two questions above then either you have to change buying habbits or country.

IP Logged

latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #13 - 17. Oct 2009 at 11:35
Hi Jon
Vat in the UK is set to return to 17.5 next year from 15% now.
here VAT is 19%,although this does not add that much to the total of imported goods should imagine it has a knock on effect, transport etc.
speaking of which the dispute in Pireas has lasted nearly a month now, how would that kind of problem affect your plans?
there is an article on The Times today about food and other items  in Supermarkets in the UK whose size and packaging has shrunk but the same price is charged or even higher!!
Maybe we should all just buy gold!!!!!!

IP Logged

witsender9

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Reply #12 - 16. Oct 2009 at 22:25
Hi, last night I was rushing to go out so did not take the time to explain properly. Web site for nomad is www.nomad-international.com then click on to crete express. To shop at Tesco I gave as an example, shop on line, pay for it and ask it to be delivered to the nomad depot. As you will see you can shop anywhere as long as your shopping can be delivered to the depot. Nomad depot here on Crete is Vamos or they will deliver. The trick is working out the quantity the 29.50 box will take. They are very helpfull. Our problem was not being able to get boxes from Scotland to the nomad depot. Hope this is helpfull.

IP Logged

Topdriller
Practically Cretan

Reply #11 - 16. Oct 2009 at 19:35
Christine,

Just checked e-Bay to see what a single 250ml bottle of Listerine would sell for - 1.78 + shipping of course. 

I think the point is that you could save on most non Greek goods if you ordered in volume and probably more so if you bought them in volume from a Cash and Carry rather than a supermarket or on line store.

I'm not saying this is the only or indeed the best way to go but it seems to me that the demise of sterling makes this an attractive option if you planned ahead and knew what basics you'd need in 2010.

I decided last year to keep a spread sheet of what we spent across here and the monthly supermarket shop was  considerably higher here than back in the UK.  I wasn't anal enough to break it down into individual items but when I queried the household's premier shopper - she'd say interrogated - it was pointed out that basic brand name goods like shampoo, deodorant, washing powder etc. were often double the price of those in the UK.

I'd not heard of Nomad and maybe that is a different / better way to go but with sterling so low and inflation about to let rip next year it's definitely something worth considering.

Jon

IP Logged

latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #10 - 16. Oct 2009 at 12:16
Hi Jon
Asked my better half to check some prices this morning in Neapoli.
Specifically Listerine cos although we have a bottle could not remember it being so expensive.
Well he remembered, but says it was either 3.48 or 4.38  in the Ariadne store for the 250 ml size ,perhaps yours was a larger bottle?
I understand that Champagne will be heavily discounted this Xmas in the UK ,huge savings there I think!!!!
christine

IP Logged

witsender9

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Reply #9 - 15. Oct 2009 at 19:10
A bunch of us discussed doing this last winter when the euro fell, starting a co-operative for favourite, expensive items. We abandoned the idea after doing some research. However some people are ordering items from the nearest Tesco to the Nomad depot where they are brought here for around 29 ( see the Nomad site for exact prices and volume ). We have not done this yet but have asked our visitors this summer to be tea mules etc. Last week we talked to a couple who are now bulk shopping at Tesco and they believe the cost of bringing it here is minimal.

IP Logged

Topdriller
Practically Cretan

Reply #8 - 15. Oct 2009 at 18:55
My wife likes Listerine - maybe she's trying to tell me something! It's 8 euros here in Spar and under 3 in the UK.  The mark up on Head and Shoulders is similar as is Lynx deodorant i.e. almost double the price.

As you can see I'm a squeaky clean kind of guy.

Jon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google :: Brits in Crete Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter :: Brits in Crete Yahoo Pinterest :: BritsinCrete Tumbr :: Britsincrete Instagram :: Britsincrete

Weather forecast for Heraklion Weather forecast for Rethimnon Weather forecast for Agios Nikolaos Weather forecast for Ierapetra Weather forecast for Chania

HOTELS NEAR AIRPORTS: Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - Chania/Souda (CHQ) - Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (HER) - Sitia Public Airport (JSH).

De werkelijkheid van het leven, het leven van de Emigrant in Kreta Griekenland, zoals die door de ogen van de Britse ingezetenen wordt gezien. | Die Wirklichkeit von leben die Überseelebensdauer in Kreta Griechenland, wie durch die Augen der britischen Bewohner gesehen. | La réalité de la vie, la vie d'outre-mer en Crète Grèce, comme vu par les yeux des résidants britanniques. | Realtà di vivere, la vita espatriata in Creta Grecia, come visto attraverso gli occhi dei residenti britannici. | V tat a k člen určit "Brit do Kreta" "BritsinCrete" tkanivo poloha. | A realidade de viver, a vida expatriate em Creta Grecia, como visto através dos olhos dos residentes britânicos. | La realidad de vivir, la vida expatriada en Creta Grecia, según lo visto a través de los ojos de los residentes británicos. | Живущ в Крете, межсуточная жизнь на греческом острове Креты для эмигрировавших резидентов. | Ζωντανός στην Κρήτη, καθημερινή ζωή στο ελληνικό νησί της Κρήτης για τους εκπατριζόμενους κατοίκους. | クレタに住んでいる、国外居住の常駐員のためのクレタのギリシャの島の日常の生命。| aae:Kret ar: كريت bs:Kreta bg:Крит ca:Creta cat:Creta cs:Kréta cym:Creta da:Kreta de:Kreta et:Kreeta el:Κρήτη es:Creta eo:Kreto eu:Kreta eus:Kreta fr:Crète he: כרתים hrv:Krit ko:크리티 지역 hr:Kreta id:Kreta is:Krít it:Creta la:Creta lb:Kreta lv:Krēta lb:Kreta lt:Kreta hu:Kréta nl:Kreta ja:クレタ島 no:Kreta pl:Kreta pt:Creta ro:Creta ru:Крит sl:Kreta sr:Крит fi:Kreeta sv:Kreta tr:Girit vec:Creta zho: 克里特 Crete. Βριτσιν is another display type!

« Board Index ‹ Board Top  

QR Code britsincretecouk | Google+ | Today's GREEK NAME DAYS and BABY NAMES | Feedage Grade A rated |

Forum installed & Maintained by SVS WebDesign