Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Cheap accommodation wanted (Read 3092 times)
moggy1923
Practically Cretan

BiC Want another holiday

Zodiac sign:
Re: Cheap accommodation wanted
Reply #9 - 15. Jun 2011 at 19:30
Post Tools
[quote author=524A464E554655465D46161717270 link=1283106505/8#8 date=1308141565]there are plenty of houses are available in cheap amount so i hope you will also find of your best interest  [/quote]
sorry Umairaraza

have idea what you are saying?  regards

IP Logged

umairaraza
BIC 2.0 Newbie

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Virgo
Reply #8 - 15. Jun 2011 at 15:39
Post Tools
there are plenty of houses are available in cheap amount so i hope you will also find of your best interest

IP Logged

Flights from so many UK airports Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
donewishing
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #7 - 27. Sep 2010 at 00:50
Post Tools
Well, we are trying very hard to learn Greek. But after a few months of Rosetta Stone we are not quite fluent yet ha ha. And we would not discriminate in favour or against ANY nationality for friends - not even Brits!!! Seriously, surely it would be sensible to chat to other Brits who have relocated (it's why I joined this forum after all) - as well as getting to know locals? We would certainly never reject the hand of friendship from Cretans. But neither would we shun other Brits. Or Indians. Or Africans. Or Albanians. Or Germans. Or Swedes. Or French.......need I go on. And I am sure our language skills will come on faster once we are living there than trying to learn in a couple of hours a day on the computer (no Greek conversation groups available near us in Oxfordshire). I had A level French - but only became fluent when I lived in France.
Anyway - thanks to those who have helped. We have now booked flights, accommodation, car hire....have appointments to view properties (better value than Oxfordshire property for sure) and are VERY excited to be on our way in less than a fortnight!!!
Sorry  - but negativity irritates me!

IP Logged

goldilocks
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Libra
Reply #6 - 11. Sep 2010 at 23:41
Post Tools
Surely escaping into the 'real crete' would exclude first language English speakers so perhaps learning Greek and doing an internet search in Greek would get you the sort of experience you are looking for, rather than tasting the edge of Crete via an English speaking community.

Moving to another country should mean being part of that country although it appears to me that 'making many friends' excludes Cretan people and therefore excludes the 'real Crete'.

It is worth getting to know Cretans as they are a real nice load of people who struggle in their own country due to corruption to make a living for themselves.

As for accommodation, it's not too bad in the winter months as you can't get direct flights there and back from the UK and tourism is practically at zero hence the government unemployment payments in the winter months. However, in the summer months, most people want to make their money and charge as much per week during the season as they can get for a month in the winter, especially on holiday accommodation as a lisence costs you 5,000 Euros which you want to get back quickly from your paying guests.

As for house hunting, as IKA payments are so unaffordable to most in Crete (hence the volume of derelict buildings) this cost has to be passed on to the purchaser hence expect to pay higher than you would want to for as house, probably to the equivalent of UK prices for a house that has already been renovated.

« Last Edit: 11. Sep 2010 at 23:57 by goldilocks »  

IP Logged

Flights from so many UK airports Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
karen1
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Reply #5 - 11. Sep 2010 at 20:53
Post Tools

IP Logged

rose
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #4 - 31. Aug 2010 at 12:21
Post Tools
Have sent you a pm

IP Logged

moggy1923
Practically Cretan

BiC Want another holiday

Zodiac sign:
Reply #3 - 30. Aug 2010 at 16:29
Post Tools
hi Mollie, apologies my previous message a bit harsh.  Happy to see you can now receive pms, as you have now done 3 postings, as that is how I understand the site on BiC.

I will send you a pm.  greetings

IP Logged

donewishing
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Reply #2 - 30. Aug 2010 at 10:58
Post Tools
Sorry Moggy
We have spent so long researching, online house hunting and yes indeed, reading all the blogs here, that all the members who post regularly feel like people we know and Crete feels local to us (especially central and east Crete where our search has been concentrated) ....and the places we mention are so familiar to us now! Spili is Rethymnon, Zaros is Heraklion, Agios Stefanos and Makrigialos are Lassithi.
We did not really expect anyone to offer us their spare room, though it would be great if that happened! Particularly as it would give us a great chance to chat with people who have taken the plunge and make real friends before we arrive. What I thought was that many have annexes or holiday lets attached to their property that may not be booked up in October.
As for "cheap" - well one person has already pm'd me with information about studios for 20 euro per night - that sounds good! And I will get back to her later when our plans are getting clearer. It's difficult to persuade my other half to reject the possibility of the package tour accommodation that costs peanuts over the cost of flights. How on earth are those businesses reliant on package operators supposed to survive! So we may take that deal for two weeks then escape into "real" Crete for a week in the middle of our stay to spend time in the areas of interest - staying somewhere for as few euros as poss. And hopefully meet some of you whilst we are there.
Best wishes
Mollie

IP Logged

moggy1923
Practically Cretan

BiC Want another holiday

Zodiac sign:
Reply #1 - 30. Aug 2010 at 01:57
Post Tools
how cheap is cheap, kinda like asking how long a bit a of string?

I dont know you would find a BiC person willing to offer complete strangers a room in their home if they had a spare room?

Possibly they would send you a pm to ask you a question, but for you to receive a pm, you need to have done 3 postings and so far you have done only 2.

not all Tavernas have rooms, but usually if you turn up in an area and visit a Taverna you can ask there for assistance, that is if you are drinking/eating there at the same time. Well at least buy a coffee.  That is I presume you will have a car.

I dont know the names of the places you mentioned and cant be bothered to look up which Prefectue they are in, when you have not bothered.

Good luck, feel sure it will work out if you have a car.

IP Logged

donewishing
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Cheap accommodation wanted
29. Aug 2010 at 21:28
Post Tools
Hi
We are coming over in October on a house hunting trip. Have managed to find cheap flights but are still looking for accommodation. No frills required - just a bed and shower would do. Either for two weeks (08/10 to 22/10) preferably close to Zaros/Spili/south coast OR for just a few days or a week there and a week or a few days in Ag Stef/Makrigialos area. So if any of you have a room available or know of a pension or taverna that would offer really cheap rooms at the end of the season, please get in touch. Otherwise we will have to stay in package deal accommodation! Which is very cheap but neither close to where we want to buy nor quiet enough for our tastes. Don't fancy clubbing in Malia ha ha.   Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google :: Brits in Crete Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter :: Brits in Crete Yahoo Pinterest :: BritsinCrete Tumbr :: Britsincrete Instagram :: Britsincrete

Weather forecast for Heraklion Weather forecast for Rethimnon Weather forecast for Agios Nikolaos Weather forecast for Ierapetra Weather forecast for Chania

HOTELS NEAR AIRPORTS: Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - Chania/Souda (CHQ) - Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (HER) - Sitia Public Airport (JSH).

De werkelijkheid van het leven, het leven van de Emigrant in Kreta Griekenland, zoals die door de ogen van de Britse ingezetenen wordt gezien. | Die Wirklichkeit von leben die Überseelebensdauer in Kreta Griechenland, wie durch die Augen der britischen Bewohner gesehen. | La réalité de la vie, la vie d'outre-mer en Crète Grèce, comme vu par les yeux des résidants britanniques. | Realtà di vivere, la vita espatriata in Creta Grecia, come visto attraverso gli occhi dei residenti britannici. | V tat a k člen určit "Brit do Kreta" "BritsinCrete" tkanivo poloha. | A realidade de viver, a vida expatriate em Creta Grecia, como visto através dos olhos dos residentes britânicos. | La realidad de vivir, la vida expatriada en Creta Grecia, según lo visto a través de los ojos de los residentes británicos. | Живущ в Крете, межсуточная жизнь на греческом острове Креты для эмигрировавших резидентов. | Ζωντανός στην Κρήτη, καθημερινή ζωή στο ελληνικό νησί της Κρήτης για τους εκπατριζόμενους κατοίκους. | クレタに住んでいる、国外居住の常駐員のためのクレタのギリシャの島の日常の生命。| aae:Kret ar: كريت bs:Kreta bg:Крит ca:Creta cat:Creta cs:Kréta cym:Creta da:Kreta de:Kreta et:Kreeta el:Κρήτη es:Creta eo:Kreto eu:Kreta eus:Kreta fr:Crète he: כרתים hrv:Krit ko:크리티 지역 hr:Kreta id:Kreta is:Krít it:Creta la:Creta lb:Kreta lv:Krēta lb:Kreta lt:Kreta hu:Kréta nl:Kreta ja:クレタ島 no:Kreta pl:Kreta pt:Creta ro:Creta ru:Крит sl:Kreta sr:Крит fi:Kreeta sv:Kreta tr:Girit vec:Creta zho: 克里特 Crete. Βριτσιν is another display type!

« Board Index ‹ Board Top  

QR Code britsincretecouk | Google+ | Today's GREEK NAME DAYS and BABY NAMES | Feedage Grade A rated |

Forum installed & Maintained by SVS WebDesign