Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic death can be taxing (Read 2395 times)
Gerald
Bic Administrator

BritsinCrete - the Expat
Social Network in Greece

Re: death can be taxing
Reply #7 - 09. Oct 2010 at 07:02
There are no actions to perform.
John

I have deleted the link in your post for the reasons stated in an earlier post that was directed at you and others, which said:

"I hope members will appreciate that to keep carping on about the way the forum is run, who is right or wrong, picking on the admin is just turning others off. Especially when this is a regular forum following typical rules. So I ask that members stop trying to make it look otherwise."

If you don't like the forum rules. Do not participate.

If you or others continue to challenge admin, carping on and on, cushioned in even the most sweetest of writing even when this forum's position is made clear,  I will delete membership immediately.

Thank you.

Confucious may have said: "Don't be too easily hurt or offended. Take a deep breath. Count to 10. Log off and make a cup of tea, or a POT of tea. Don't answer until an hour from now, or tomorrow!"
IP Logged

R.I.C.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07. Oct 2010 at 14:52
Again, it is not as simple as the link you posted suggests.

The link quotes Greek and EU law but the UK government has not signed up to this!! Under EU law I have the right for my wife's will to be executed under UK law but UK law says that if I am not a UK resident it must be executed under the laws of the country I live in. Stalemate, and hence my current battle!

Lastly, I do not propose to contribute further to this thread as I wanted to post all this, and other information, on this site. Gerald, in his wisdom and within his rights, suggested it would be better posted elsewhere. You can read his comments here:

John
« Last Edit: 09. Oct 2010 at 07:00 by Gerald »  

IP Logged

Flights from so many UK airports
latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #5 - 07. Oct 2010 at 11:52
Hi Fowles,
there is a link for Inheritance Tax law changes in the links section at the top of this page, however here is a quote from the same lawyer

For property located in Greece, the ownership and property rules apply the same to Greeks and non-Greeks. However, who inherits what share is determined by the citizenship of the deceased. If the deceased had Greek citizenship (or dual citizenship Greek and another), then, for property in Greece, it is Greek law which determines what are the inheritance shares. If the deceased was not Greek, then it is the law of his/her citizenship that will determine who inherits how much.
this quote is taken from this website
http://www.helleniccomserve.com/iliopoulosinheritlaws2010.html
and the lawyer Christos Illiopoulos.

christine

IP Logged

Fowles
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #4 - 07. Oct 2010 at 09:29
"In Greece, despite what the will says, certain relatives must benefit."

Can you confirm which relatives in Greek law are included?

IP Logged

Binx
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Moonchild
Reply #3 - 06. Oct 2010 at 22:53
Good post  Latsida and thank you . I have printed it out  just in case..!

IP Logged

latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #2 - 06. Oct 2010 at 14:55
Hi RIC
the nil rate is quoted in the third paragraph.
Sorry that you are having problems , and hope they will soon be resolved.
Christine
« Last Edit: 06. Oct 2010 at 14:56 by latsida »  

IP Logged

R.I.C.
Ex Member

Reply #1 - 06. Oct 2010 at 14:24
This article is a little misleading in that it states that being subject to UK inheritance laws can be a bad thing. T'aint always so!

For example, the nil rate band in the UK is 320K per person or 640K for a married couple. Goods left to a spouse are exempt (untill the spouse dies).

Contrast that with Greece where any cash you leave is taxed at 10% with no exemptions. If the money is in a joint account then they assume that the deceased owned 50% of it.

Also in the UK the deceased wishes stated in their will can be carried out. In Greece, despite what the will says, certain relatives must benefit. In my case this would mean that our house, which my wife left to me, would have five owners!

For all of the above reasons I am fighting to claim that I am really domiciled in the UK.

John

IP Logged

latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

death can be taxing
06. Oct 2010 at 12:41
interesting article which explains your tax liabilities
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/death-can-be-taxing-for-uk-expatriates-tele-3e4...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google :: Brits in Crete Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter :: Brits in Crete Yahoo Pinterest :: BritsinCrete Tumbr :: Britsincrete Instagram :: Britsincrete

Weather forecast for Heraklion Weather forecast for Rethimnon Weather forecast for Agios Nikolaos Weather forecast for Ierapetra Weather forecast for Chania

HOTELS NEAR AIRPORTS: Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - Chania/Souda (CHQ) - Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (HER) - Sitia Public Airport (JSH).

De werkelijkheid van het leven, het leven van de Emigrant in Kreta Griekenland, zoals die door de ogen van de Britse ingezetenen wordt gezien. | Die Wirklichkeit von leben die Überseelebensdauer in Kreta Griechenland, wie durch die Augen der britischen Bewohner gesehen. | La réalité de la vie, la vie d'outre-mer en Crète Grèce, comme vu par les yeux des résidants britanniques. | Realtà di vivere, la vita espatriata in Creta Grecia, come visto attraverso gli occhi dei residenti britannici. | V tat a k člen určit "Brit do Kreta" "BritsinCrete" tkanivo poloha. | A realidade de viver, a vida expatriate em Creta Grecia, como visto através dos olhos dos residentes britânicos. | La realidad de vivir, la vida expatriada en Creta Grecia, según lo visto a través de los ojos de los residentes británicos. | Живущ в Крете, межсуточная жизнь на греческом острове Креты для эмигрировавших резидентов. | Ζωντανός στην Κρήτη, καθημερινή ζωή στο ελληνικό νησί της Κρήτης για τους εκπατριζόμενους κατοίκους. | クレタに住んでいる、国外居住の常駐員のためのクレタのギリシャの島の日常の生命。| aae:Kret ar: كريت bs:Kreta bg:Крит ca:Creta cat:Creta cs:Kréta cym:Creta da:Kreta de:Kreta et:Kreeta el:Κρήτη es:Creta eo:Kreto eu:Kreta eus:Kreta fr:Crète he: כרתים hrv:Krit ko:크리티 지역 hr:Kreta id:Kreta is:Krít it:Creta la:Creta lb:Kreta lv:Krēta lb:Kreta lt:Kreta hu:Kréta nl:Kreta ja:クレタ島 no:Kreta pl:Kreta pt:Creta ro:Creta ru:Крит sl:Kreta sr:Крит fi:Kreeta sv:Kreta tr:Girit vec:Creta zho: 克里特 Crete. Βριτσιν is another display type!

« Board Index ‹ Board Top  

QR Code britsincretecouk | Google+ | Today's GREEK NAME DAYS and BABY NAMES | Feedage Grade A rated |

Forum installed & Maintained by SVS WebDesign