Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Advice wanted on renting on crete (Read 3197 times)
gmc
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Re: Advice wanted on renting on crete
Reply #8 - 19. Jun 2013 at 22:00
Post Tools
Don't pay more than a months rent upfront!

We have rented here for 5 years and the usual process is a months rent as a deposit and your first months rent.
Gillian

IP Logged

Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
daveellen

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Aries
Reply #7 - 16. Jun 2013 at 09:55
Post Tools
I'm sure in most cases it would be fine but I would be reticent to 'ask at the taverna' unless you are fluent in Greek and can get reccomendations from someone you know and trust.
For the first time at least I would go with an estate agent so you at least have a contract and someone to do the base work for you.
Just my opinion and yes I have always been risk averse. Spent more years researching the move than we have spent here (so far)  Smiley

IP Logged

moggy1923
Practically Cretan

BiC Want another holiday

Reply #6 - 15. Jun 2013 at 14:26
Post Tools
Hi LauraUK, thanks for the laugh, yes he thought he saw you coming!

When exactly are you looking to start renting from?

Do what Stalos suggested, visit Taverna/ Cafe ask them if they know of places to rent. Do not do this on a Sunday, as this is usually their busiest day. Best to do it on another day, preferably when not too busy, ie when full at lunch time or dinner time. sit down and at least have a coffee or the like, might be considered rude if you just going asking without buying something.

Extra to ask about, electric (the electric bill includes the TV licence less than 5 euro a month), water charges.  Also check out what happens about sewage who pays for emptying the tank?

As it is a yearly rental also check if it has extra system for heating water in the winter, solar heating will not be good enough in the winter, especially for the 3 of you.
check also what heating it has over the winter, there are a couple of months in the winter, heating is required, particularly at night-time.

Something you probably have not thought about phone/internet connection - if it does not have, then once you have found somewhere you are considering ask for advice about that by this Forum.

you do not say how old your child is, do you need information on local schools?

You may also want to take into consideration location of flat to bus stop.

About deposit, if you ask now to rent from July, then as a foreigner, they  may ask for up to 6 months rent or the like as deposit.  Different thing if you ask from October.  Their problem is you rent from July, then leave once the winter comes and then who do they rent to.

You are looking for 2 bed, that is fairly common, if you asked for 3bed, there are not so many, so maybe expect to pay more.

you might like to also check out the area of Sissi, the other side of Malia where there are a number of English also.  The Jolly Roger bar on the beach there is English, there is another bar by the main drag, not on the beach, but the name escapes me.

let us know how you progress.

IP Logged

stalos
Been around almost as long as Crete itself

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Reply #5 - 15. Jun 2013 at 01:07
Post Tools
Whats with a fee.
Ask in your local Taverna/village Someone will know where theres a rental. Or even ask on this or the other site.

IP Logged

crete4ever

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Reply #4 - 13. Jun 2013 at 14:08
Post Tools
I second PeeBee advice, avoid this agent please, even on 400 Euro a month thats nearly 10K you would pay up front. The agent does a runner with your cash, no house to rent then try to find him and take him to court,,,,,,no chance.....

I can give you lots of agents who charge one month rent as a fee and two MONTHS rent in advance.

IP Logged

Peebee
Practically Cretan

Another B.I.C.

Reply #3 - 13. Jun 2013 at 10:45
Post Tools
Laurauk
AVOID this agent like the plague.
You should expect to pay 1 month deposit for each year that you sign up for, and probably 1 months agent fees as a ONE off payment.
Do not pay any rent in advance.
We signed for 2 years and paid 2 months deposit (which covers the last 2 months of the rental period) and a 1 month agents fee.
I could recommend a couple of agents but they do not cover the area you are looking for.

Edit:- When we renewed for a further two years in October, the landlord reduced the rent by 50 per month Smiley
« Last Edit: 13. Jun 2013 at 10:47 by Peebee »  

IP Logged

laurauk
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Reply #2 - 13. Jun 2013 at 09:18
Post Tools
I have been looking for a 2 bed property in the heraklion/hersonisoss  area and the agent wants a year rent plus a year deposit plus half year in fees plus 375 in Vat

Is this standard or has he seen me coming so to speak lol

but if anyone knows of anything in that area hersonissos/stalis/malia please let me know need furnished preferably with yard/garden for child

for long term rental year possibly longer for right property parking not an issue as long as there is nearby parking  Smiley

IP Logged

moggy1923
Practically Cretan

BiC Want another holiday

Reply #1 - 12. Jun 2013 at 14:54
Post Tools
hi, you have not mentioned how long your intended rental is to be?

ie a week or 2 for holiday, or ore longer term, 6 months, 1 year, 2 etc

Also what part of Crete are you interested in, it is a large Island

be handy to know what size you are looking for, ie how many bedrooms & if you require swimming pool or not, or is shared pool also an option for you.  Do you require private parking?

IP Logged

laurauk
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Advice wanted on renting on crete
11. Jun 2013 at 22:07
Post Tools
any advice as to dos and dont's when renting from real estate agent in crete

thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google :: Brits in Crete Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter :: Brits in Crete Yahoo Pinterest :: BritsinCrete Tumbr :: Britsincrete Instagram :: Britsincrete

Weather forecast for Heraklion Weather forecast for Rethimnon Weather forecast for Agios Nikolaos Weather forecast for Ierapetra Weather forecast for Chania

HOTELS NEAR AIRPORTS: Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - Chania/Souda (CHQ) - Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (HER) - Sitia Public Airport (JSH).

De werkelijkheid van het leven, het leven van de Emigrant in Kreta Griekenland, zoals die door de ogen van de Britse ingezetenen wordt gezien. | Die Wirklichkeit von leben die Überseelebensdauer in Kreta Griechenland, wie durch die Augen der britischen Bewohner gesehen. | La réalité de la vie, la vie d'outre-mer en Crète Grèce, comme vu par les yeux des résidants britanniques. | Realtà di vivere, la vita espatriata in Creta Grecia, come visto attraverso gli occhi dei residenti britannici. | V tat a k člen určit "Brit do Kreta" "BritsinCrete" tkanivo poloha. | A realidade de viver, a vida expatriate em Creta Grecia, como visto através dos olhos dos residentes britânicos. | La realidad de vivir, la vida expatriada en Creta Grecia, según lo visto a través de los ojos de los residentes británicos. | Живущ в Крете, межсуточная жизнь на греческом острове Креты для эмигрировавших резидентов. | Ζωντανός στην Κρήτη, καθημερινή ζωή στο ελληνικό νησί της Κρήτης για τους εκπατριζόμενους κατοίκους. | クレタに住んでいる、国外居住の常駐員のためのクレタのギリシャの島の日常の生命。| aae:Kret ar: كريت bs:Kreta bg:Крит ca:Creta cat:Creta cs:Kréta cym:Creta da:Kreta de:Kreta et:Kreeta el:Κρήτη es:Creta eo:Kreto eu:Kreta eus:Kreta fr:Crète he: כרתים hrv:Krit ko:크리티 지역 hr:Kreta id:Kreta is:Krít it:Creta la:Creta lb:Kreta lv:Krēta lb:Kreta lt:Kreta hu:Kréta nl:Kreta ja:クレタ島 no:Kreta pl:Kreta pt:Creta ro:Creta ru:Крит sl:Kreta sr:Крит fi:Kreeta sv:Kreta tr:Girit vec:Creta zho: 克里特 Crete. Βριτσιν is another display type!

« Board Index ‹ Board Top  

QR Code britsincretecouk | Google+ | Today's GREEK NAME DAYS and BABY NAMES | Feedage Grade A rated |

Forum installed & Maintained by SVS WebDesign