Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) #Greece - Electricity Up July 1- But for Whom? (Read 2621 times)
Finbar
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Taurus
Re: #Greece - Electricity Up July 1- But for Whom?
Reply #7 - 27. Mar 2015 at 23:07
Post Tools
It is possible to heat your home for fee on any day the sun shines..have a look at the video on youtube..https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Solar+room+heater+XL+20

Low technologhy ..yes but they do work.  Wink

IP Logged

Kefalas
Been around almost as long as Crete itself

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Reply #6 - 11. Mar 2015 at 09:45
Post Tools
I think the situation is still the same. You can't feed into the grid.

My friend had a complete system (solar and wind) installed about 7 years ago at a cost of €17,000. Costs have come down since then.

As I recall, it generates about 4kW most of the time, with batteries storing enough to last 24 hours. That's not much margin if we have several overcast days with no wind but he tells me it has been OK. He just has to be careful in scheduling the washing machine, which takes quite a lot of power on days when the water isn't hot.

My own small system generates only a couple of hundred watts when the sun shines, with batteries lasting about 5 hours. It's enough to keep my computers and monitors running.
« Last Edit: 11. Mar 2015 at 09:46 by Kefalas »  

IP Logged

Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
admin
Bic Administrator

GeraldinCrete

Reply #5 - 10. Mar 2015 at 09:55
Post Tools
Finbar you make a good point.

Now here's the thing, I was keen to look into such a conversion concept, thinking that the Greek government was encouraging households to install solar panels so that any surplus electricity to a household's needs would be fed back into the DEH network. This would offset the cost over time of such an installation. But then, Crete's electricity supply raced ahead of demand and this practice was discouraged/ended/never started.

Any updates?

Treat fairly, those who treat you fairly. To shout is a sign of weakness. Confucious may have said: "Don't be easily hurt or offended. Take a deep breath, count to 10. Log off and make a cup of tea.
IP Logged

Finbar
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Taurus
Reply #4 - 01. Mar 2015 at 13:52
Post Tools
The cost of electricity is linked directly to the price of fossil fuels...oil and gas and currently the prices for Oil & gas are quite low...but this will change very soon and then the rises in the cost of electricity will start again....But rather than worrying about the cost of electricity and trying to reduce your consumption there is a choice,,,,,generate your own electricity using PV solar panels...a small system with 6 to  8 PV panels ( no batteries  will generate up to 80% of your needs....and cost around €4,500  ...but to go off grid and have your electricity supply disconnected ....which is a good option for  a new house...the cost for a system for a standard 3 bed house would be around €12,000....but free electricity for the future...and you are also doing your part to save our planet...  Cool..Finbar,

IP Logged

Kefalas

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Reply #3 - 22. Jun 2014 at 19:26
Post Tools
I'm in the "up to 2000 kWh" range and my last non-estimated bill in March was at € 0.946 per unit fixed charge (plus € 0.0208 per unit - greenhouse emissions charge).

We bought the gas oven since then but I'm doubtful that I'll get down to the 800 kWh range for the cheaper tariff.

IP Logged

latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #2 - 21. Jun 2014 at 09:24
Post Tools
here are the tariffs Kefalas

http://www.dei.gr/en/eksupiretisi-pelatwn/oikiakoi-pelates/timologia

you have to apply for the off peak tariff and pay a small fee.

this article from Ekatermerini explains the new charges.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite2_1_20/06/2014_540735
« Last Edit: 21. Jun 2014 at 09:41 by latsida »  

IP Logged

Kefalas

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Reply #1 - 21. Jun 2014 at 07:30
Post Tools
Just as an aside: in case some people are unaware, electricity here costs MORE per unit if you use MORE (unlike in the UK where the cost per unit goes down if you use more!)

Consequently, we recently bought a gas oven (oven and rings complete) that runs off Calor gas. A €25 bottle lasts us 3 months or more. I'm hoping that the fact we no longer use an electric oven will drop us onto a lower tariff.

IP Logged

admin
Bic Administrator

GeraldinCrete

#Greece - Electricity Up July 1- But for Whom?
18. Jun 2014 at 14:01
Post Tools
DEH Electricity Rates Up from July 1, But for whom?

From July 1, 2014, according to a local news commentary, DEH the electricity supplier is putting up electricity charges (all over Greece not just Crete) from €19.90 to €40 a quarter. It is supposed to affect the category of "enterprise accounts" only. What is an enterprise account?

....don't stop reading because if you are a regular "domestic" user, you may not be off the hook.

Anyway, to me enterprise accounts suggests small to medium business users. Apparently not. Because the commentary also says the costs are being reduced to small business owners  who use token amounts of electricity - a very good thing, I must add.

Questions are definitely being raised about holiday homes and second home owners who use below 800kWh every three months. Are we interpret this to mean holiday homes and second homes now fall into this enterprise category?

It is all thoroughly confusing and typically Greek. Who is going to decide whether yours is a holiday home or a year round residence? Aha probably the answer is in your accountants hands. Haven't they been asking for copies of your DEH bills in past few years especially if you stay here less than six months?

What happens if you are a retired person and own a home here who is not living here year round? Nothing is said about that either?

In essence what is being said is this: if a meter shows consumption below 2,000 kWh every four months, the extra charges will start from €19.90. If it is smidgeon over, say just a kilowatt hours in excess then the charges will be upped to the €40+ range increase.

The original article in greek is here.
Google translation is not very good. If you can advance this thread further please do so.
I just hope this is just another punt to test market reaction and will not happen following the huge electricity rate hikes in 2012 and after. Haven't we had enough?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: 18. Jun 2014 at 14:04 by admin »  

Treat fairly, those who treat you fairly. To shout is a sign of weakness. Confucious may have said: "Don't be easily hurt or offended. Take a deep breath, count to 10. Log off and make a cup of tea.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google :: Brits in Crete Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter :: Brits in Crete Yahoo Pinterest :: BritsinCrete Tumbr :: Britsincrete Instagram :: Britsincrete

Weather forecast for Heraklion Weather forecast for Rethimnon Weather forecast for Agios Nikolaos Weather forecast for Ierapetra Weather forecast for Chania

HOTELS NEAR AIRPORTS: Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - Chania/Souda (CHQ) - Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (HER) - Sitia Public Airport (JSH).

De werkelijkheid van het leven, het leven van de Emigrant in Kreta Griekenland, zoals die door de ogen van de Britse ingezetenen wordt gezien. | Die Wirklichkeit von leben die Überseelebensdauer in Kreta Griechenland, wie durch die Augen der britischen Bewohner gesehen. | La réalité de la vie, la vie d'outre-mer en Crète Grèce, comme vu par les yeux des résidants britanniques. | Realtà di vivere, la vita espatriata in Creta Grecia, come visto attraverso gli occhi dei residenti britannici. | V tat a k člen určit "Brit do Kreta" "BritsinCrete" tkanivo poloha. | A realidade de viver, a vida expatriate em Creta Grecia, como visto através dos olhos dos residentes britânicos. | La realidad de vivir, la vida expatriada en Creta Grecia, según lo visto a través de los ojos de los residentes británicos. | Живущ в Крете, межсуточная жизнь на греческом острове Креты для эмигрировавших резидентов. | Ζωντανός στην Κρήτη, καθημερινή ζωή στο ελληνικό νησί της Κρήτης για τους εκπατριζόμενους κατοίκους. | クレタに住んでいる、国外居住の常駐員のためのクレタのギリシャの島の日常の生命。| aae:Kret ar: كريت bs:Kreta bg:Крит ca:Creta cat:Creta cs:Kréta cym:Creta da:Kreta de:Kreta et:Kreeta el:Κρήτη es:Creta eo:Kreto eu:Kreta eus:Kreta fr:Crète he: כרתים hrv:Krit ko:크리티 지역 hr:Kreta id:Kreta is:Krít it:Creta la:Creta lb:Kreta lv:Krēta lb:Kreta lt:Kreta hu:Kréta nl:Kreta ja:クレタ島 no:Kreta pl:Kreta pt:Creta ro:Creta ru:Крит sl:Kreta sr:Крит fi:Kreeta sv:Kreta tr:Girit vec:Creta zho: 克里特 Crete. Βριτσιν is another display type!

« Board Index ‹ Board Top  

QR Code britsincretecouk | Google+ | Today's GREEK NAME DAYS and BABY NAMES | Feedage Grade A rated |

Forum installed & Maintained by SVS WebDesign