Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Snowy weather (Read 616 times)
admin
Bic Administrator

GeraldinCrete

Re: Snowy weather
Reply #7 - 12. Jan 2017 at 13:26
Post Tools
Snow in #Crete must have made international news as friends in Pattaya sent me an email to mention that I was lucky not to be in #Greece at the moment (which I am not). But across the northern hemisphere this year in many places winter had come early with unexpected snowfalls. Not true for everywhere though.
« Last Edit: 12. Jan 2017 at 13:27 by admin »  

Treat fairly, those who treat you fairly. To shout is a sign of weakness. Confucious may have said: "Don't be easily hurt or offended. Take a deep breath, count to 10. Log off and make a cup of tea.
IP Logged

moggy1923
Practically Cretan

BiC Want another holiday

Zodiac sign:
Reply #6 - 09. Jan 2017 at 19:26
Post Tools
Hi
I never meant to intimate that anyone was trapped.

The news reported to me was a village of thousands over 400 meters high in Heraklion Prefecture. I  believe it got down to -15 some time in past few days. Today I see it is now 3 degrees, so yes getting warmer.  No doubt in a few days, one might expect to see some off season tourists wandering around in the day light sun time in light clothing, as the temperature increases.  There have been years when the temperature reached over 30 degrees in January.  I have had it reported to me that Cretans of past times they were walking around one year on New Year Eve walking around in T-Shirts in Heraklion as so warm.

Seems very natural to me that when highly unusual weather of -15 that many people would stay indoors and keep warm as best they can as well as taking care that neighbours are ok, that Cretans are very good at.

There were many years on Crete when locals did not see snow (Chioni, χιόνι).  It was a total novelty for some of them see it.  that one word repeated loudly 'Chioni'

World weather has had unusual occurrences in recent years.

IP Logged

Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
Mod2
Global Moderator

Zodiac sign: Moonchild
Reply #5 - 08. Jan 2017 at 23:35
Post Tools
It's not too bad on Crete. Some places above about 200 metres in Hania province have deep snow. Most villages have someone with a tractor and a plough attachment. Very few people are trapped, although many of us have chosen to stay home today because roads are down to single-track.

Tomorrow (Monday) is forecast to be warmer and sunny so I would expect a big thaw from 9am on.

I have been appointed by the forum owner, Gerald, to check posts and moderate if necessary. I try to be fair and impartial.

IP Logged

moggy1923
Practically Cretan

BiC Want another holiday

Zodiac sign:
Reply #4 - 08. Jan 2017 at 23:01
Post Tools
I am in UK at the moment and being told stories of the mountain villages where there is snow and of course there is not the machinery to clear the snow, after all it is not the Alps and totally unexpected, so people staying in their homes as best they can to keep warm.

Someone else told me most of Greece is now frozen over with the cold.

IP Logged

latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #3 - 01. Jan 2017 at 14:00
Post Tools
Do not think you would want to attempt that walk at the moment  Smiley

IP Logged

fireman sam
B.I.C. Old Hand

Not just another BritInCrete!

Reply #2 - 01. Jan 2017 at 13:28
Post Tools
Thanks Latsida, it's raining here in my part of Blightey today and no sign of any snow. Will have to wait til I get back to Crete and get up the mountains. One of my favourite walks is from the Agios Giorgios Monastary in Vrahassi up to Tzermiado, providing it's not too deep!

IP Logged

latsida
Practically Cretan

Yet Another BritInCrete!

Reply #1 - 31. Dec 2016 at 19:38
Post Tools
yes we had snow a couple of days ago but now it is raining heavily.
the surrounding mountains are topped with snow.

IP Logged

fireman sam
B.I.C. Old Hand

Not just another BritInCrete!

Snowy weather
31. Dec 2016 at 13:59
Post Tools
I have just read on Apokoranos news that after heavy snowfall in Lassithi 'a family is completely cut off in their house at a remote location near Neapolis ' Does anyone know where this and has the snow fell as low down as Neapoli? Just curious, thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google :: Brits in Crete Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter :: Brits in Crete Yahoo Pinterest :: BritsinCrete Tumbr :: Britsincrete Instagram :: Britsincrete

Weather forecast for Heraklion Weather forecast for Rethimnon Weather forecast for Agios Nikolaos Weather forecast for Ierapetra Weather forecast for Chania

HOTELS NEAR AIRPORTS: Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - Chania/Souda (CHQ) - Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (HER) - Sitia Public Airport (JSH).

De werkelijkheid van het leven, het leven van de Emigrant in Kreta Griekenland, zoals die door de ogen van de Britse ingezetenen wordt gezien. | Die Wirklichkeit von leben die Überseelebensdauer in Kreta Griechenland, wie durch die Augen der britischen Bewohner gesehen. | La réalité de la vie, la vie d'outre-mer en Crète Grèce, comme vu par les yeux des résidants britanniques. | Realtà di vivere, la vita espatriata in Creta Grecia, come visto attraverso gli occhi dei residenti britannici. | V tat a k člen určit "Brit do Kreta" "BritsinCrete" tkanivo poloha. | A realidade de viver, a vida expatriate em Creta Grecia, como visto através dos olhos dos residentes britânicos. | La realidad de vivir, la vida expatriada en Creta Grecia, según lo visto a través de los ojos de los residentes británicos. | Живущ в Крете, межсуточная жизнь на греческом острове Креты для эмигрировавших резидентов. | Ζωντανός στην Κρήτη, καθημερινή ζωή στο ελληνικό νησί της Κρήτης για τους εκπατριζόμενους κατοίκους. | クレタに住んでいる、国外居住の常駐員のためのクレタのギリシャの島の日常の生命。| aae:Kret ar: كريت bs:Kreta bg:Крит ca:Creta cat:Creta cs:Kréta cym:Creta da:Kreta de:Kreta et:Kreeta el:Κρήτη es:Creta eo:Kreto eu:Kreta eus:Kreta fr:Crète he: כרתים hrv:Krit ko:크리티 지역 hr:Kreta id:Kreta is:Krít it:Creta la:Creta lb:Kreta lv:Krēta lb:Kreta lt:Kreta hu:Kréta nl:Kreta ja:クレタ島 no:Kreta pl:Kreta pt:Creta ro:Creta ru:Крит sl:Kreta sr:Крит fi:Kreeta sv:Kreta tr:Girit vec:Creta zho: 克里特 Crete. Βριτσιν is another display type!

« Board Index ‹ Board Top  

QR Code britsincretecouk | APN Portal Greece|Uw Eigen Zoek Box | Google+ | Today's GREEK NAME DAYS and BABY NAMES | Feedage Grade A rated |

Forum installed & Maintained by SVS WebDesign