Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic register a UK car in Crete? (Read 1980 times)
Mod2
Global Moderator

Zodiac sign: Moonchild
Re: register a UK car in Crete?
Reply #4 - 28. Sep 2017 at 15:35
Post Tools
Pauly B wrote on 16. Aug 2017 at 22:37:
I am aware that there is quite a few people who have foreign cars and haven't registered are they just chancing it?

AFAIK, they are risking confiscation of the vehicle and a fine.
« Last Edit: 28. Sep 2017 at 15:38 by Mod2 »  

I have been appointed by the forum owner, Gerald, to check posts and moderate if necessary. I try to be fair and impartial.

IP Logged

Flights from so many UK airports
moggy1923
Practically Cretan

BiC Want another holiday

Zodiac sign: Moonchild
Reply #3 - 04. Sep 2017 at 12:47
Post Tools
It is more complicated importing a car into Greece, as counted as asset for Tax office.  I believe for first years you are limited who can drive the car, believe the number plate is a different colour so easy for police to spot. If you might choose once imported to return it to UK or another country they will still count you tax on it for the 1st five years.

It is convenient to drive your own car over, as you can stop off on way for sight seeing and obviously bring a certain amount of your luggage over with you.

The problem with returning again within 6 months, unless you choose to make a bit of a holiday out of it and maybe bring stuff back to UK is the added costs of all the ferries.

BTW a Sunday is a good day for driving in much of Europe because Lorries mainly are not on the roads.

Many people avoid much of France due to Toil charges.

Though worthwhile crossing into France for cheap hotel with parking. (check websites first for where suits you.  Places we book usually allow cancellation upto 6pm on day, but check terms yourself)
The very large supermarkets in France generall have good restaurants with choices for lunch at reasonable price.  Also free water and ice machine, usuall after the cash till.

Luxembourg has cheap petrol and diesel, still under a Euro a litre, also 20% less for cigs/tobac than Belgium.

In Germany we have always been pleased with the off road places to eat, good portions and fair prices.

We once stayed somewhere very reasonable overnight in Tirol Austra.

Good luck with your choice

IP Logged

Pauly B
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Capricorn
Reply #2 - 17. Aug 2017 at 22:46
Post Tools
Thank you it sounds very helpful. If I can't find the car I want in Crete then I could always look out for a left hand drive in UK to import.

IP Logged

Flights from so many UK airports
admin
Bic Administrator

GeraldinCrete

Reply #1 - 17. Aug 2017 at 01:03
Post Tools
In reply ... Perhaps people are just lucky dodging law enforcement. And maybe you just answered your own question on car transfer from UK to Greece.

Anyway hope the following helps if you changed your thinking.

There is one real experience of going through the legal motions that is spelled out. It happens to be a #Corfu experience. The bit about getting the ‘transfer of your residence’ done at the Greek Embassy, in the move from UK to Greece seems to be critical to the exercise of transferring a car from British taxation to Greek taxation. If it proves worthwhile, just remember that the value of second hand vehicles in Greece stays higher and for longer than in the UK.

The key question is...is it all worth it? or just dumping your car after 6months?

http://www.corfu-forum.com/relocation-to-corfu/importing-cars/

Treat fairly, those who treat you fairly. To shout is a sign of weakness. Confucious may have said: "Don't be easily hurt or offended. Take a deep breath, count to 10. Log off and make a cup of tea.
IP Logged

Pauly B
A True BIC'er

Yet Another BritsinCrete

Zodiac sign: Capricorn
register a UK car in Crete?
16. Aug 2017 at 22:37
Post Tools
Hi, I intend to drive my old UK car over to Crete. I understand that it will only be legal up to 6 months then either have to leave the country or scrap. Is it any easier to register a car now in Crete? Has anyone got experience of what happens if you are stopped after the 6 month period, is the scrapped or are you fined? I am aware that there is quite a few people who have foreign cars and haven't registered are they just chancing it?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google :: Brits in Crete Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter :: Brits in Crete Yahoo Pinterest :: BritsinCrete Tumbr :: Britsincrete Instagram :: Britsincrete

Weather forecast for Heraklion Weather forecast for Rethimnon Weather forecast for Agios Nikolaos Weather forecast for Ierapetra Weather forecast for Chania

HOTELS NEAR AIRPORTS: Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - Chania/Souda (CHQ) - Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (HER) - Sitia Public Airport (JSH).

De werkelijkheid van het leven, het leven van de Emigrant in Kreta Griekenland, zoals die door de ogen van de Britse ingezetenen wordt gezien. | Die Wirklichkeit von leben die Überseelebensdauer in Kreta Griechenland, wie durch die Augen der britischen Bewohner gesehen. | La réalité de la vie, la vie d'outre-mer en Crète Grèce, comme vu par les yeux des résidants britanniques. | Realtà di vivere, la vita espatriata in Creta Grecia, come visto attraverso gli occhi dei residenti britannici. | V tat a k člen určit "Brit do Kreta" "BritsinCrete" tkanivo poloha. | A realidade de viver, a vida expatriate em Creta Grecia, como visto através dos olhos dos residentes britânicos. | La realidad de vivir, la vida expatriada en Creta Grecia, según lo visto a través de los ojos de los residentes británicos. | Живущ в Крете, межсуточная жизнь на греческом острове Креты для эмигрировавших резидентов. | Ζωντανός στην Κρήτη, καθημερινή ζωή στο ελληνικό νησί της Κρήτης για τους εκπατριζόμενους κατοίκους. | クレタに住んでいる、国外居住の常駐員のためのクレタのギリシャの島の日常の生命。| aae:Kret ar: كريت bs:Kreta bg:Крит ca:Creta cat:Creta cs:Kréta cym:Creta da:Kreta de:Kreta et:Kreeta el:Κρήτη es:Creta eo:Kreto eu:Kreta eus:Kreta fr:Crète he: כרתים hrv:Krit ko:크리티 지역 hr:Kreta id:Kreta is:Krít it:Creta la:Creta lb:Kreta lv:Krēta lb:Kreta lt:Kreta hu:Kréta nl:Kreta ja:クレタ島 no:Kreta pl:Kreta pt:Creta ro:Creta ru:Крит sl:Kreta sr:Крит fi:Kreeta sv:Kreta tr:Girit vec:Creta zho: 克里特 Crete. Βριτσιν is another display type!

« Board Index ‹ Board Top  

QR Code britsincretecouk | Google+ | Today's GREEK NAME DAYS and BABY NAMES | Feedage Grade A rated |

Forum installed & Maintained by SVS WebDesign